Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Tax return

Message 1 of 3

I use Turbo Tax and pay nothing! Its easy!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Tax return

Message 2 of 3

It can get dicey at times!  We use an online service that compares our return with last years to lessen chance of errors  (in personal information especially).  Most of those are free, depending on the simplicity or complexity of your return.  Ours is $15.  We have had no issues over the years.  If ours was more complicated we would probably seek a real person preparer.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Tax return

Message 3 of 3

I've been doing my taxes for such a long time, that I think my first few times were done on stone.  After decades of going the pen and paper route - I jumped on the free online FreeFileFillableForms - offered by the IRS.  I liked this a lot; it was kinda different and fun - And - the user simply had to plug in the numbers and the app would "Do the math".  Which means I could discard my abacus.  Good deal.  Did I mention - it is free!  I liked that feature a lot!   I must tell you that there is a kinda tricky/difficult aspect to FFFF.  Once you have the return complete - you go thru the "verify" part  - to determine that you are who you purport to be.   THEN - you click "submit" and FFFF sends your return to the IRS.  Here comes the tricky part:  Within the next couple days - IRS will either accept or reject your return.  There are a number of reasons for rejection, like  errors in names, ages, SS numbers, math,   incomplete sections, form omission,etc.  It's not like when you mail it and know - it's on them now; let them figure it out.  Here - for a single number disposition - your entire return is rejected.

So anyway - I've been using FFFF for a number of years now, and today being the 10th - decided it was TIME.  A couple hours ago, I thought I was done - but each time I attempted to complete the process  - I got an error message that said an error was preventing the return from being forwarded on to the IRS.  It does not tell you what the error is!  I finally figured it out and got it submitted  - but must still hold my breadth til the IRS lets me know they have accepted it.

I think next year, I'll have a Paid Preparer do my taxes.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark