AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Tax Filings - When Do You Start?

Message 11 of 25

My returns a simple.  If I know I am going to have to pat the IRS I wait until April.  If I am going to get a substantial amount back I prepare and file early.

Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 25

"...I used to spend hours just reading through the printed book and filing all of the forms old school. Not anymore!...".

DW thinks that is where all the fun can be found!  Image result for i like doing taxes cartoon

Image result for i like doing taxes cartoon

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 25

Our tax returns are usually not that complicated, so I start as soon as I have all of the tax documents. Those are now available online, and I get an email alert when they are ready to view/download. Turbo-Tax makes it so easy to pull the info into the tax form electronically. I've use Turbo-Tax for the past few years and it is a big time saver, plus any changes are built into the software, so I feel confident that everything is properly accounted for. I used to spend hours just reading through the printed book and filing all of the forms old school. Not anymore! It doesn't matter whether we may get a refund or have to pay a little, I just like getting it out of the way ASAP. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 25

@jrj90620 - That's when people SHOULD start & file; the original question was when do YOU start preparing. Many people don't do what they should do. Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Silver Conversationalist

Message 15 of 25

Not really complicated.If you expect a refund,you start ASAP.If you pay,you send in Apr 15.

Message 16 of 25

ReTiReD51 wrote:

Certain 1099’s and brokerage statements don’t have to be postmarked until February 15.

If you are to be mailed these types of statements, by the time you receive them and verify their accuracy it might be the first week in March before you could file. Which is typical for lots of folks.

Absolutely true, and one year I was so furious about a late "revision", I said I'd send that company a bill if the accountant charged me extra!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 25

Certain 1099’s and brokerage statements don’t have to be postmarked until February 15.

If you are to be mailed these types of statements, by the time you receive them and verify their accuracy it might be the first week in March before you could file. Which is typical for lots of folks.

Message 18 of 25

This year I'm looking for a new accountant; I want to get the ball rolling tomorrow. The accountant I've used since I moved down to the shore, made 1 major mistake a couple of years ago .. which I fortunately caught, and another was a "sin of omission," where I felt she should have brought to my attention that my taxable income was nearing a threshold, above which I'd lose significant exclusions. I didn't realize that until I took the hit the following year. I pay too much not to expect more than them just transferring data to a computer program, without any sanity check or feedback!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 25

retiredtraveler wrote:
. . . . . . I contribute by making some manly grunts of approval. Smiley Wink

After being a widow for 10+ years, living alone and handling it ALL (everything) all by myself - the manly grunts are a valuable part of a joint relationship.  Woman Wink

Message 20 of 25

retiredtraveler wrote:

I don't --- DW does it (Woman LOL), and still does everything the old fashioned way, sans software.

She keeps pretty good records all year, and most info is already on Fidelity anyway. I contribute by making some manly grunts of approval. Smiley Wink

LOL! And where, I ask, would wives be without those manly grunts of approval? Smiley Very Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving