There's always more to discover with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Fundraising

Message 11 of 28
Dreadful disease- if it works to get money for research then fine
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

Is it any stupider than when fundraisers had carnivals and used a dunking tank. You paid money, you threw the ball, you hit the bullseye, and in the cold water went the volunteer. Is it any more ignorant than the "kissing booths" of old where you would exchange germs with a complete stranger.

I think worrying that it is going to kill somebody is overreaching because we would have a bunch of dead winning coaches around if that was the case.  The ice cold gaterade and ice bucket dump has been around for many years for that group of people.

People have thought of different ways to raise funds for charity for a millenium. If it is a successful method then it has served its' purpose.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I think that it's stupid to raise money in this way!  Dumping a bucket of ice on someones head is ignorant and it could kill somebody in the process! 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

ASTRAEA wrote:

A lot of you have probably heard about the latest "ice bucket dump", to raise money for ALS (AKA "Lou Gehrig's Disease"). The regional newspaper had a letter this week too, thanking people for participating in another ALS fundraising effort, where they bought donuts.

It is just me, or does it seem bizzare to do strange things like that - often not exactly healthy - to raise money or awareness for a disease that has absolutely no connection to the method of fundraising?! I've participated in a couple of "walks" for a cause .. but more for social reasons than philanthropic ones; I can sit at home & make a larger donation than these events request for registration, without having a bucket of ice dumped on my head!

ASTRAEA, I was thinking the same thing.  The following link explains why they do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge

Apparently, one makes a $100 donation to avoid being doused.  So I don't know why so many people are being doused and looking pleased with themselves for the privilege.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

My hat is off to you, PattyDiane, you hit the nail on the head.

My point has been that the IBC is NOT strange, NOT bizarre, and certainly NOT less of a method of bringing in contributions just because it doesn't have a direct link to the disease.

That this fundraising method was strange, bizarre, and had nothing to do with the disease are points that the originator of this discussion posed.

SO WHAT IS THE IBC?

It IS fun. It IS getting attention directed toward a worthy cause. And, as you said, it IS genius. These are points that you have posed and I am 100% in agreement with you.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that one day a cure is found.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28

OK.  Here are my TRUE feelings regarding the "Ice Bucket Challenge".  I think it's genius and I'm so grateful that FaceBook and the national media has jumped on board.  I have not been challenged directly, only generally by some FB friends and I'm giving the money, but then I would have done that anyway. 

My father died of ALS and I'm grateful it's getting donations and attention.  I have been amazed by the number of people I've seen posting on FB who admit to the fact that they didn't know what it was until now.  If people don't know what something is they are not going to donate money to it.  It became one of the diseases under the Muscular Dystrophy umbrella and was featured on the MDA Telethon on Labor Day every year but now that has been condensed into just a few hours and has lost the exposure there.  Oddly enough I was involved with the MDA Telethon before I learned I had a direct need of their assistance when my father was diagnosed.

As to the donut thing:  the way that came about was when CBS did a story about a man who had ALS and decided that though the remainder of his life might be short he wished to make it as much fun as possible.  He began by deciding to buy donuts for 1000 people (I think that was the number) starting with his children's classmates and the movement sort of spread.  I think this is the same guy who started the ice bucket challenge, or it grew out of his "having fun" movement.

My feeling is that if someone doesn't want to participate then they don't have to.  After all, I don't think anyone will be watching my checking account or my credit card statements to see that I make a contribution.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

You started this discussion because you thought this was a strange, bizarre way of fundraising that had nothing to do with the disease itself (your words, not mine). You even said it wasn't an exactly healthy way of fundraising. You even named the discussion "Strange Fundraising".

To now say I am off-base and that you only wanted to see what other people think is just wrong. To mention YOUR giving as an example of EVERYONE'S giving to make a point that people give without "challenges" is also misplaced.

Your true colors were evident in your first post and the title of the discussion.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28
gatorgorilla wrote:

I think the posters were responding with what they "really thought", & were not just trying to be politically correct, ASTRAEA.

In this case, I wonder: what if a person truly does not want to be splashed and also does not want, for whatever reason, to commit $100 to the cause; and they are splashed anyway?  What happens then?  I do not advocate pushing someone into participation if they indicate they do not wish to take part.

In all honesty, if someone was confronted with the challenge by acquaintances/friends/co-workers/constituents/whoever, I doubt many would have the guts to say "I do not want to be involved", for fear it would make them appear less than good-natured, generous, etc.  And I have never liked the idea of anyone being badgered into giving!  I give because I want to, not because of what others will think of my giving.  And I think that is exactly why you give, ASTRAEA, so these sort of gimmicks do not appeal to us.

I do not see any harm in such gimmicks, for those who enjoy them, and if they bring positive attention to a cause, and generate donations that otherwise would not have occurred, then that is to the good, isn't it?  Pam    

My guess - about people in the public eye - is that they either know the folks they nominate pretty well before doing it, or actually ask if it's OK to nominate them .. because they don't want to seriously embarass them by boxing them into a corner. I think my Governor or Lieutenant Governor nominated the entire Cabinet .. people they know very well & have to work with on a daily basis, so they wouldn't have done that if they had expected a negative backlash.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

ASTRAEA wrote:
nctarheel wrote:

Your original statements made it clear that you were not in favor of this type of fundraising and when there were posts disagreeing with your premise; you dissed the posters by saying they were giving "politically correct" answers rather than what they REALLY thought.

You also mention $100 donations and "All the donations I make". I commend that you are a giving person and probably a person of substantial means but talk about politically incorrect; the only entities that toot their own horn about their own donations are politicians and corporations. 

You are so totally off-base! I started this discussion to see what other people genuinely felt about the "ice bucket challenge", not to hear people repeat the politically correct thing, that because it was effective, it must be the right thing to do. I only mentioned my giving, to make the point that people do that, without having to be motivated by any sort of "challenges". The only reason I mentioned the $100 donation, is that it was explained that the ice bucket challenge requires a person either take the challege & give a small donation, or avoid the ice bucket by making $100 donation.

I think the posters were responding with what they "really thought", & were not just trying to be politically correct, ASTRAEA.

In this case, I wonder: what if a person truly does not want to be splashed and also does not want, for whatever reason, to commit $100 to the cause; and they are splashed anyway?  What happens then?  I do not advocate pushing someone into participation if they indicate they do not wish to take part.

In all honesty, if someone was confronted with the challenge by acquaintances/friends/co-workers/constituents/whoever, I doubt many would have the guts to say "I do not want to be involved", for fear it would make them appear less than good-natured, generous, etc.  And I have never liked the idea of anyone being badgered into giving!  I give because I want to, not because of what others will think of my giving.  And I think that is exactly why you give, ASTRAEA, so these sort of gimmicks do not appeal to us.

I do not see any harm in such gimmicks, for those who enjoy them, and if they bring positive attention to a cause, and generate donations that otherwise would not have occurred, then that is to the good, isn't it?  Pam    

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28
nctarheel wrote:

Your original statements made it clear that you were not in favor of this type of fundraising and when there were posts disagreeing with your premise; you dissed the posters by saying they were giving "politically correct" answers rather than what they REALLY thought.

You also mention $100 donations and "All the donations I make". I commend that you are a giving person and probably a person of substantial means but talk about politically incorrect; the only entities that toot their own horn about their own donations are politicians and corporations. 

You are so totally off-base! I started this discussion to see what other people genuinely felt about the "ice bucket challenge", not to hear people repeat the politically correct thing, that because it was effective, it must be the right thing to do. I only mentioned my giving, to make the point that people do that, without having to be motivated by any sort of "challenges". The only reason I mentioned the $100 donation, is that it was explained that the ice bucket challenge requires a person either take the challege & give a small donation, or avoid the ice bucket by making $100 donation.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views