Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Info Seeker

Re: Strange Fundraising

Message 1 of 28
Strange fundraiser? Yes! Brought awareness to a poorly funded cause? Yes! Nobody said you had to take the challenge. It has raised lots of money for a POORLY funded disease. Whatever it takes is OK with me.
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 28
Perhaps not the best idea; but I do agree with results. It has created much needed awareness and raised a ton of money!
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 28
It is a fun way to make people aware of ALS. It is also raising money for research. Not a bad thing.
Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 28

Well this method gets a lot of interest going because they get alleged "celebraties" to do something silly like dumping ice on their head, so it gets a lot of publicity and gets peoples attention.  Most people think they have to or want to be like alleged "celebrities" so they mimic these silly acts.  The end result is good though.  So many people want to be like alleged "celebrities" that a lot of $ is raised for the cause.  More than if just an ad or a walk were done.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 28

I see no harm in it as long as simple health and safety precautions are taken.  Always practice safe IBC!  LOL!

I think it appeals to people because it is simple, quick and to the point.  Allowing yourself to have ice water dumped on your head while videotaping the event for "proof" makes your succinct statement that you support donations for the disease, it's victims and their family and loved ones.  Encouraging others to do so by throwing down the gauntlet is a means to increase the fundraising. Americans, at least, are quite competitive and will overwhelmingly want to join in what looks to be a fun way to show support while spreading the word.  It doesn't hurt that this is a one-time event calculated to bring some minor bit of fame or celebrity to the person being filmed...that's the hook that keeps people doing it.

I think the marathons, half-marathons, etc. have been good fundraising techniques in the past, but they are limited to participants who enjoy pounding the pavement, generating blisters, nipple-bleeding and calluses in places most of us never heard of.  Those participants are limited in the amount of funding they can raise by such punishing activity because most donations in support of their participation are small-ish...say $25 to $50 bucks a pop.

In this day & age, it is difficult to raise funds without a unique or novel idea.  I get solicitations in the mail every day requesting funds for x,y or z disease or cause.  I would like to give each one of them a thousand dollars if I could but that's an unreasonable proposition.  I have a few favorite charities who receive donations from me.  Now if an organization, such as ALS research comes up with a a novel idea and it engages my imagination, why yes, I will consider giving a share of my designated donation funds to them and I am happy to do it.  Would I let someone pour ice water on my head???  The chances of that happening are about as great as me running the Boston Marathon but I would definitely give it some thought!

PS:  This is what I really, really think and is not an answer given to be PC!  I don't classify the idea as strange or bizarre but as you can see from reading my post I think it is novel and unique.  Call it semantics if you will but "one man's meat is another man's poison" as they say!

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 28

To myralamotte,

I do not agree with your reasoning on the fundraising. Is selling cookies directly related to the mission of the Girl Scouts? Dumping water on someone is NOT polluting the water. The water isn't wasted. While the dumping of ice water can be shocking; it has has been done for years in sports venues with no ill effects.

I agree wholeheartedly with your view on texting. I go out to eat a lot and I'll see a family of four sit near us, all four will text the whole time they are at the restaurant, no one talks to each other, they eat, then they leave. No wonder so many people today have trouble in relationships.......because the only way they know how to communicate is with their smart phone and texts.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 28

It is a novel way of bringing attention to this fundraiser, but seems potentially hazardous to participants.  One possibility is the shock of the ice/water drench.  Another, the mess if done on a floor surface (slipping hazard, etc.).  Then there were the firefighters who were injured when their ladder truck boom (from which they were dumping the buckets on participants) touched an electrical wire.  One is still in the hospital.

There are cultures worldwide who also see this as a disgusting display, as it is a waste of precious water.  Perhaps there is a better way to raise funds?

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 28

By being such a bizarre method of challenging friends to contribute it is unusual and very noticeable. Getting the public attention is the purpose of making a challenge and what makes a fundraiser successful.

However the challenge, in my opinion, does not make sense for several reasons;

1.) Ice dumping is not directly related to ALS and it doen not raise the knowledge or understanding of ALS.

2.) During this drought, dumping water and ice is wasteful 

3.) It is shocking to the body to have ice water dumped on your head.

I am a senior and I must say that this is not the first thing that does not make sense.

Another example is, why would you text someone when you can just call them and speak to them???

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 28

Having found the ALS is a genetic disease, after years of researching, when the funds would have been put to good use, I am bewildered about this now.  However, I am sure those families caring for an ALS sufferer could use financial help.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 28

Cops arrest wanted suspect after he posts 'Ice Bucket ...

Cops get a parole violater after posting his ice bucket challenge!!!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.