From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: RETIREMENT INVESTMENT

Message 11 of 15

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:
".....Good suggestions for sure, and I have both but am hoping to findsomething with a better return....".

That's the rub. The general rule, forever, has been greater risk, greater return. How risky a specific investment may be is the source of endless discussion.

I invest, almost exclusively in my old age, in 'junk bonds' (low rated corporate bonds). However, I mitigate the risk by investing in bond funds. I get less return, but the chances of a fund 'tanking' is pretty close to nil.  If you read about them, you'll get warnings (as you will with all investments). But, I'm happy with a pretty steady 8%-10% total return, year-after-year. 

Now, someone else will come along and say, look, the stock market is going nuts, you should have invested in that. Yup, I missed the huge returns of the last 5 years. But, sooner or later, we'll have a major correction in the market. If past history has anything to do with current conditions, we're way overdue for a correction. So, how risky is that?

That should keep you confused for awhile................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15
Thank you for responding to my post. Good suggestions for sure, and I have both but am hoping to find something with a better return.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

Can anyone recommend a safe, profitable investment for income?

No stocks, real estate, interest from bank - HA!

What is left without risk?

Other than FDIC insured accounts and US Treasury Investments, there really isn't anything that is totally risk free - meaning a guarantee of not losing principal if rules are follow.

U.S. Treasury.gov - Treasury Direct

However, there are other investments which you can buy (index funds) which have pretty low risk - but still risk.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

Bonds?   

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

RETIREMENT INVESTMENT

Message 15 of 15

Can anyone recommend a safe, profitable investment for income?

No stocks, real estate, interest from bank - HA!

What is left without risk?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera