Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: It's Tax Time!

Message 1 of 8

This was realy a big letdown for me as I cannot use Taxact.   I have to generate a couple of 1099s and TurboTax home and business is set up to do this.  I gave a scathing review for TT and I hoep they get their act together this year. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 8

I feel so good .. everything just went into the U.S.P.S!

Sad about TurboTax, although I never used it. I think that home-use tax software was either not out yet or in its infancy, when I began havign mine done by an accountant.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8

"... I did not have anything unusual to contend with so I just chalked it up to just another company going downhill....".

We've never used tax software, but I always thought TT was the 'gold standard'. Just for grins, I went to a consumer affairs website and saw a whole lot of unhappy comments. Of course, people rarely post if their experience is good, but I was surprised to see so many negatives. But, other sites rate it highly. I guess it's another one of those things you have to experience for yourself.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8

I do taxes for myself and my mother and have been using Turbotax for years.  Its a good thing I am familiar with the format because this year's Turbotax was non functional.   No walk throughs, I pretty much just filled in the blanks on the screen.  I did not have anything unusual to contend with so I just chalked it up to just another company going downhill.  The software would not efile.  I tried all the work arounds suggested on various sites and tried getting new software downloaded from customer service.  Everything was sent through the mail.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Message 5 of 8

You're very lucky!! A friend of mine has volunteered as an AARP tax preparer since he retired too.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 8

Wife was a CPA in former life (and currently, AARP tax volunteer). She starts jumping on the taxes by beginning of February. Ours are pretty easy, so we do them early (well, not we, DW does them). We live on investments, but they are all with a single brokerage house and they provide all the info we need and DW fills out everything and does the arithmetic. She enjoys working with numbers (so I wouldn't want to spoil her fun by assisting her).

DW still does taxes old-fashioned way --- by hand.  Then, they're mailed by snail mail.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 7 of 8

I was hoping to be able to pay my estimated tax for 2014 online, but the great state of New Jersey has a 3rd party processor .. who adds an $11 "processing fee", to credit card payments. So I'm spending the $0.55 on an envelop & stamp instead! I'd pay $1 or $2 for processing .. but $11 .. I don't think so!

I'm later than I'd like to be, but I didn't get all my distribution information until the end of March! My taxes are way more complicated & with more schedules than I want to deal with, so I use a CPA. I used to do my own taxes, when I didn't have such extensive investments.

It's Tax Time!

Message 8 of 8

Only two days until our 2013 income taxes & 2014 estimated payments are due!

Are you an early bird, last-minute filer, or later-than-you'd-like because you have to wait for distribution information?

Do you have simple taxes you can/do yourself, difficult taxes you struggle thru, or use a professional?

Can/do you pay online?