There's always more to discover with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is Participation in Online Community "Skewed"?

Message 11 of 17

ASTRAEA wrote:

After reading the AARP magazine, and seeing some of the discussions here over the years, I wondered if participation in AARP is skewed in general, to the less successful/satisfied among the 50+!

So you see a lot more discussions about how to "get by" .. with much resentment of those who are more comfortable, than about people retiring early or by their mid-60s & comfortably enjoying their retirements.

Your thoughts?

That is not my perception.  Over the years there have been many happy, successful and interesting posters on these boards.  I just think those  needing comfort grab more of our attention and that is probably as it should be.  Advice and comfort received here may really help someone when they are feeling low.  There are things you can say online that you may not say in person!  I have said such things on these boards.

I view these boards as a neighborhood with the points of view I encounter being more varied than my actual neighborhood.  I treasure the friendships I have made here.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17
nyadrn wrote:

I think you are right in general that many of the discussions are about issues and problems  whereas people that are comfortable and doing well have less need for help and assistance type articles and many don't participate in the discussions because of that.. also there is not a big reception imho to talk about things you can/should do yourself.

Because I'm single, even though I'm very busy, there's times at home when it's too early/late to be talking to or doing things with friends .. and "Online Community" is a good filler. I never joined up for "assistance" or self-help articles; most of what they have is too basic & general anyway.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17
retiredtraveler wrote:  

Resentment against us more satisfied (and let's admit it, some luck involved) folks?  Not sure about that. I would sure expect resentment in general if I lost a job in my 50's (which I did), but couldn't get another one (I was able to get another job, with less income).   

Back in 1999, my company offered a VSP (voluntary severance package), for most departments, if you were 53 or older, and had at least X years service. I think the offer was for 18 months lump sum pay, and the max pension you'd get if you were 65. So many people took it than they projected, they wound up having to hire dozens back as contractors! I was surprised to find out afterwards, that the majority of those people got other jobs .. most of them "to keep busy".

I wasn't old enough, and my department was one of the few excluded from the offer anyway. If I could have collected my max pension at that point, I would have left in a heart-beat. In retrospect, I would have cherished having the 2 last years of my Mom's life, to have more time to spend with her & help out!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

ASTRAEA wrote:

After reading the AARP magazine, and seeing some of the discussions here over the years, I wondered if participation in AARP is skewed in general, to the less successful/satisfied among the 50+!

So you see a lot more discussions about how to "get by" .. with much resentment of those who are more comfortable, than about people retiring early or by their mid-60s & comfortably enjoying their retirements.

Your thoughts?

I think you are right in general that many of the discussions are about issues and problems  whereas people that are comfortable and doing well have less need for help and assistance type articles and many don't participate in the discussions because of that.. also there is not a big reception imho to talk about things you can/should do yourself.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17
I don't know about skewed , but online participation is minimal compared to the total number of AARP members
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

Hmmm. Interesting. I would have to think about that.  I believe most articles on boomers, even outside of AARP, do focus on the ever increasing numbers of boomers who are forced out of jobs they wanted to keep another 10 years, low-savings, supporting adult children when they don't have enough income of their own,  having to take early SS (with a 25% loss in benes), how to survive reduced income, etc. But that is the reality for (from the numbers I see), the majority. I won't start an endless discussion of factors and blame.

Resentment against us more satisfied (and let's admit it, some luck involved) folks?  Not sure about that. I would sure expect resentment in general if I lost a job in my 50's (which I did), but couldn't get another one (I was able to get another job, with less income).   

"...Mediocre people don’t ever take personal responsibility for their life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Is Participation in Online Community "Skewed"?

Message 17 of 17

Your thoughts?

Kudos
Views
Replies