Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Is Participation in Online Community "Skewed"?

Message 1 of 17

Regardless of age, I think being obsessed with/addicted to a cell/smart phone or other device, is unhealthy. I know many people who always have their device out, so they can instantly respond to phone calls, text & e-mails. 99% of that isn't of any urgent nature. I originally got a cell phone when my Mom was in the hospital with cancer, but now that she & my aunt are gone, there's pretty much no one left whose emergency would affect me. Everything can wait until I get home or finish what I should be paying attention to NOW!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 17

Astrea wrote

I'm actually surprised at the number of people I know in their 80s, who do use e-mail, shop online, and have smart phones. Often their big motivator is being able to communicate more regularly with children & grandchildren, who aren't local.

I travel with a local senior group and the bus  sometimes has wifi.  Most of the women (very few men on these trips) have a device they piddle with during the drive and some even carry both a smart phone and the larger Ipad.  And it doesnt end there.  One of the ladies was walking around staring at her phone even when she was attempting to cross the street after we reached our destination!  She is about my age and in good shape and bright and outgoing so I cant attribute her lack of attention to age.  I was rather worried for her though!

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Message 3 of 17
retiredtraveler wrote:

I wonder if this is the general issue in the ageing population that older boomers are the least likely to be on a PC (ok. or a MAC).  I know this is changing with a great many classes (at least in urban areas) being available to teach people how to use a PC. But, there are still a lot of seniors who don't get on a PC, or if they do, very limited. 

My guess is that it depends when someone "grew up" so to speak; whether they had to use computers for work, and how available they were for home.

I remember stacks of punch-card programs, when I was in college. And then mainframe systems & a massive "portable" computer, I would take home from work, in the mid-1980s, to catch up. But then came PCs, and having one at home by the early 1990s. But for people 15 or 20 years older than me, or ones who otherwise didn't need/come in contact with computers at work, they never developed that familiarity & comfort with them.

I'm actually surprised at the number of people I know in their 80s, who do use e-mail, shop online, and have smart phones. Often their big motivator is being able to communicate more regularly with children & grandchildren, who aren't local.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 17

"...So if the official state AARP organizations aren't familiar with the website, and features that might be welcome to members who can't get out as much, how much "promotion" can possibly be done, to have more AARP members participate?!....".

I wonder if this is the general issue in the ageing population that older boomers are the least likely to be on a PC (ok. or a MAC).  I know this is changing with a great many classes (at least in urban areas) being available to teach people how to use a PC. But, there are still a lot of seniors who don't get on a PC, or if they do, very limited. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 17

ASTRAEA wrote:

gatorgorilla wrote:

As a newcomer to AARP Online Community, and knowing I am "thin-skinned" (overly sensitive),  I have been reading these posts with interest, but well aware that I might over-react to any words that seem unwelcoming to a newcomer such as myself.  

There have been a number of "long-time" participants who have expressed welcome as I have ventured a post here & there.  To be very trite, such welcomes are always welcome!  

I hope there will be newcomers who will be able to contribute to your discussions & "fit" into the group; for the most part, I think, that will not be me.  I imagine I will continue to read a variety of posts, and try to follow a number of discussions, but am not sure how much posting I will feel comfortable doing.  

I hope all of you will take it as a compliment that your discussions & opinions are so intriguing that a newcomer, such as I, feels drawn to view your latest, on a daily basis!

Pam

I've been here a very long time, and sometimes I have thin skin too. I've learned that my attitude about politics isn't typical for Online Community, and just by expressing my opinion in one of those discussions, I will probably be attacked by a good half-dozen posters. Since I'm very involved in politics in "real life", I definitely don't need to be attacked here by a bunch of frustrated people .. so I rarely participate in those discussions.

I've also learned that there are a handful of other participants who are just cranky, or believe they're being "helpful" by judging others & making snarky comments. After a while you see a pattern with individuals, and either ignore or report them, depending on what they say.

Most discussions are enjoyable, and people are nice, and feel like real friends over time! I hope we hear more from you!!

ASTRAEA:

Thank you for this response.  I much appreciate it!

I am editing this response to add that, to me, you have quite a forceful personality, at times, via this format.  I add that only as feedback, perhaps interesting or useful, perhaps not.

You have introduced a number of topics which produce lively discussion - and I say this, having only glanced through the last year or so of various posts/topics.  I have been reading through some of the discussions because I find the content both interesting and entertaining!  Much more engrossing, and presumably more authentic, than the "reality TV" shows which have recently drawn your commentary.

Pam 

Message 6 of 17
MichaelSpitzer wrote:
I don't know about skewed , but online participation is minimal compared to the total number of AARP members

About 5 years ago, shortly after I moved to this area, I attended a meeting of a local AARP group. The attendees were much older, most weren't online, and knew nothing about AARP's "Online Community." I had occasion to be invited to an event at the state AARP office, when the governor did a tele-town hall interview. When I spoke with the staff over lunch, they also knew little about AARP's website, or Online Community. So if the official state AARP organizations aren't familiar with the website, and features that might be welcome to members who can't get out as much, how much "promotion" can possibly be done, to have more AARP members participate?!

Message 7 of 17

gatorgorilla wrote:

As a newcomer to AARP Online Community, and knowing I am "thin-skinned" (overly sensitive),  I have been reading these posts with interest, but well aware that I might over-react to any words that seem unwelcoming to a newcomer such as myself.  

There have been a number of "long-time" participants who have expressed welcome as I have ventured a post here & there.  To be very trite, such welcomes are always welcome!  

I hope there will be newcomers who will be able to contribute to your discussions & "fit" into the group; for the most part, I think, that will not be me.  I imagine I will continue to read a variety of posts, and try to follow a number of discussions, but am not sure how much posting I will feel comfortable doing.  

I hope all of you will take it as a compliment that your discussions & opinions are so intriguing that a newcomer, such as I, feels drawn to view your latest, on a daily basis!

Pam

I've been here a very long time, and sometimes I have thin skin too. I've learned that my attitude about politics isn't typical for Online Community, and just by expressing my opinion in one of those discussions, I will probably be attacked by a good half-dozen posters. Since I'm very involved in politics in "real life", I definitely don't need to be attacked here by a bunch of frustrated people .. so I rarely participate in those discussions.

I've also learned that there are a handful of other participants who are just cranky, or believe they're being "helpful" by judging others & making snarky comments. After a while you see a pattern with individuals, and either ignore or report them, depending on what they say.

Most discussions are enjoyable, and people are nice, and feel like real friends over time! I hope we hear more from you!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 17

Pam

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 17

ASTRAEA wrote:
LaDolceVita wrote:

That is not my perception.  Over the years there have been many happy, successful and interesting posters on these boards.  I just think those  needing comfort grab more of our attention and that is probably as it should be.  Advice and comfort received here may really help someone when they are feeling low.  There are things you can say online that you may not say in person!  I have said such things on these boards.

I view these boards as a neighborhood with the points of view I encounter being more varied than my actual neighborhood.  I treasure the friendships I have made here.

I think that a few years ago, I'd agree with you .. but a lot of the happier & more self-sufficient people seem to have gotten tired of dealing with the technical difficulties of the website, and left.

OK, I am putting a good face on it and hoping things will change for the better   Woman Very Happy! On the whole I agree with you, the number of upbeat people with a good sense of humor and an upbeat outlook on life has declined. There are still enough good posts though to make it worth my while to visit almost daily.  

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Message 10 of 17
LaDolceVita wrote:

That is not my perception.  Over the years there have been many happy, successful and interesting posters on these boards.  I just think those  needing comfort grab more of our attention and that is probably as it should be.  Advice and comfort received here may really help someone when they are feeling low.  There are things you can say online that you may not say in person!  I have said such things on these boards.

I view these boards as a neighborhood with the points of view I encounter being more varied than my actual neighborhood.  I treasure the friendships I have made here.

I think that a few years ago, I'd agree with you .. but a lot of the happier & more self-sufficient people seem to have gotten tired of dealing with the technical difficulties of the website, and left.