Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I am inheriting money and property and I be down right ignorant

Message 1 of 3

You state that you will inherit some investments. Are they associated with a brokerage firm? You can get some pretty good advice through large brokerage firms. If you put all that cash into a firm such as Ameritrade, Fidelity, or their ilk, you can have free 'sit downs' with a financial advisor. Having a large sum of money to invest gets you free advice. 

It's going to be pretty difficult, if you've gone through life not knowing anything much about investing, to start from scratch now. I have been 'in the game' for 40 years, so I know the fundamentals. But if you're just starting out, and want to secure your future, I would be having several sit downs with an advisor to get you started.You don't have to make any quick decisions. You could purchase CD's through the brokerage firm for short term (and guaranteed return), then make some decisions over the next year or two after getting a financial education. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I am inheriting money and property and I be down right ignorant

Message 2 of 3

I think you will need a quick learning session. You will inherit a sizable nest egg and it might get frittered away and/or taken advantage of by people and institutions that don't have your best interest at heart.

First, look up the word "fiduciary". A person in such a role is not a sales person (you may run across many salespeople trying to sell you inappropriate financial products, mainly in order for them to get their income). A fiduciary is required by law to act in the client's best interests.

There is no need for you to buy any financial products that require paying a commision. No stocks, no mutual funds, no bonds, no certificates of deposit. Don't buy anything like this where a commision is to be paid. Suitable products can be found quite easily that do not require commisions or have high fees.

I suggest you read through this forum and eventually post your questions after you have educated yourself some more, see https://www.bogleheads.org. You will find a lot of activity in this financial forum, more so than here at the AARP forums.

Good luck. And be wary of scams and getting snookered! Don't be bashful, ask plenty of questions before taking action. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

I am inheriting money and property and I be down right ignorant

Message 3 of 3
I am 62 and my wife is 56. I am on SS and she is on disability. I never earn a great salary. I one of those crazy missionaries. So, out income is very low. We own our home outright. The area we live in is expensive, Soon, I will inherit a house and about 750,000 in investments and cash. I will sell the houses and move to a less expensive area and better climate. We are considering moving to Portugal for my wife. Healthcare is very bad here for her and very expensive. At the same time we are looking at eastern Tenn or southwest VA. Family and living expenses would be less. And the weather would be much better. The rest of the estate I want to invest as securely as possible. I like to invest in things that pay good dividends to increase our monthly income. The catch is I have absolute know idea what to do with money. Never had any to invest. Any suggestions on readings or where I can get good info without being sold something? Lot of free courses but they cost way to much. You know the free chicken dinner and a hard sell. And then nothing may happen. That hatching chicken thing you are not supposed to count. Thank You Tim
Matt 25:31ff
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date