Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: How Do You Handle Big $$ Purchases/Projects?

Message 11 of 26 (2,630 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nctarheel - I forgot that the shower glass is also a separate contract, and the granite. I really wanted a gorgeous light blue quartzite, but it's impossible to find a small piece, and the price is prohibitive .. $6,700 for a 51" vanity top .. nuts! Now I'm getting something called "Sequoia Gold", and am having the vanity a custom light teal.

Whoa!!! @ASTRAEA

I am getting a beautiful quartz slab big enough for all three bathroom's counters.  One counter  is 72", one 66", and one 30" for $3550. I hope your new selection is more reasonable.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 26 (2,632 Views)

@nctarheel - I forgot that the shower glass is also a separate contract, and the granite. I really wanted a gorgeous light blue quartzite, but it's impossible to find a small piece, and the price is prohibitive .. $6,700 for a 51" vanity top .. nuts! Now I'm getting something called "Sequoia Gold", and am having the vanity a custom light teal.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 26 (2,621 Views)

@ASTRAEA,

My contractor actually is the tile, granite, quartz  company owner. He acts as General Contractor for kitchen and bathroom remodels; he doesn't build houses and I doubt in gets involved with any other parts of the house.... unless you are talking tile, granite, quartz, etc. He's bonded, insured, pulls all the required permits, and warranties his work. He has some subs but several of the workers (like the electrician, for example) work mainly for his projects and do little other outside work.

Message 14 of 26 (2,531 Views)

@nctarheel - I originally thought I'd get a contractor who'd handle everything, but some expect the homeowner to purchase "everything you see", while they supply the labor & "everything you don't see" materials. That forced me to investigate the prices of everything I might need to buy, to get the overall price forthe project. In the end, I did go with a contractor who's doing everything but the skylight & painting.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 26 (2,441 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

@nctarheel - You're going to have a lot going; when does your project start? Are you very familiar with your contractor's work, to make a multi-part commitment upfront? No, the master bathroom & powder room were done about 15 years ago, and are very nice. The main bathroom might have been done the same time, based on the toilet, sink & fixtures matching what's in the rest of the house .. but I just don't like it. Maybe we can exchange photos via private message here, once our projects start. My bathroom will start 10/11, with the skylight.

Our house is thirty years old and though we have done small projects inside, this is the first major inside project. Yes, the contractor is well known and has been in business for over 20 years.

We "cheaped out" when we built in 1986 and have linoleum floors, narrow tub, faux this and that, and the old brass six light globe fixtures of the eighties. It is time to get the bathrooms at least into the new millenium.

On the outside, we did re-side the house, install new windows, and hang new gutters. That was several years ago and was a financially large project.

We are in the fixture, lighting, tile, quartz, this, that, the other thing, and so on and so forth phase now and if my wife and I get out of this phase unscathed then we will begin the actual work. It is sounding like sometime in October or November for us too. Doing the PM's sounds like a good idea.

Message 16 of 26 (2,417 Views)

@nctarheel - You're going to have a lot going; when does your project start? Are you very familiar with your contractor's work, to make a multi-part commitment upfront? No, the master bathroom & powder room were done about 15 years ago, and are very nice. The main bathroom might have been done the same time, based on the toilet, sink & fixtures matching what's in the rest of the house .. but I just don't like it. Maybe we can exchange photos via private message here, once our projects start. My bathroom will start 10/11, with the skylight.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 26 (2,401 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Back in 2012, I thought about remodeling the main bathroom in the house; nothing wrong with it, but I just didn't like a lot of things about it.

I put the project on the back burner for 4 years. Earlier this summer, I resurrected the project .. thinking it would cost about $15K to remodel, since I wasn't having any structural work or fixture relocations done. Boy, was this a learning experience .. and it will be costing me between $25 & $30K in the end. My only "luxuries" are putting in a large skylight, and a large frameless shower. I've been saving up for the project, but it still surprises me how much some things cost!

We are remodeling three bathrooms but are starting in the Master. You are about right on that figure for the Master. We are converting a little used 1980's garden tub into a large shower with a beautiful mosaic tile design on the floor of the shower and a nice bench. Changing the cabinets, lighting, toilets, and flooring too.

I will give this one bit of advice. If you are thinking of doing your other bathrooms, set it up as one big project, to be done one after the other. The other bathrooms would be substantially less cost as the contractors and suppliers offer you additional discounts based on "volume".

We have saved for this but may use a line of credit with an extremely low interest rate.

Message 18 of 26 (2,558 Views)

PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST FOR THIS DISCUSSION, BEFORE REPLYING .. THIS IS ABOUT HOW YOU PLAN FINANCIALLY TO MAKE BIG PURCHASES, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY RULES OF THUMB, AS TO HOW MUCH YOU'LL SPEND FOR EXPENSIVE ITEMS.

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 26 (2,195 Views)

For  a large purchase I check online for comments about a product or service.  I subscribe to both Consumer Reports and Angie's List for helpful reviews. 

Super Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 26 (1,821 Views)

I reach into my pocket, pull out the cash, and pay for the item!