ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Any prognostications on the stock market for 2017?

Message 21 of 26

No prognostications, but last week I bought IBM, General Dynamics & more stock in a regional company I already have .. South Jersey Industries. Maybe I'll do some "clean out" this coming week, and buy something else.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 22 of 26

@ASTRAEA

Had opportunity to ask successful family tech investor for an uncommon but valuable research suggestion for those looking into the tech market.

This is his suggestion: https://slashdot.org

It is a place where techies post stories and chat about them, thus, says my guy, a place to read around the headlines and become better informed.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 23 of 26

An idea to look into for CDs:  a 2, 3 or 5 year 'raise my rate CD' or IRA. This allows you to adjust your interest rate (usually once) during the term. I have a gaggle of these, staggered, so I can (hopefully, theoretically) catch beneficial interest rate increases.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 24 of 26

My approach for an unsettled market --and it has worked well for us, but remember we are still in the acquisition years-- has been to keep 401(k) and IRAs in Target Date funds. The further out the date, the higher the stock ratio; the closer the date, the higher the bond ratio. This approach has been great in 2016 and I see it working as well for 2017. No matter what sort of political (or otherwise) conniption fit goes on, no matter how many figurative fits fights Yellen and Big Banks get into, my risk is mitigated by diversity.

Meanwhile someone in the family has been making money hand over fist trading tech stock, but since I have yet to make a proper career out of trading --and frankly don't want that kind of headache-- I'm good with my positions.

My mantra: know your risk tolerance; enact a plan; stay the course.

FWIW and all.

Addendum: @retiredtraveler I know you are an experienced investor, and didn't intend to sound as though talking down to you. Instead I wrote this knowing that others, who might not have your market prowess or risk management skill, might be drawn to the topic. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 26

Coincidence that you posted this today; I've been updating a spreadsheet I use to track my own portfolio, and compare potential purchases. I have cash sitting in my IRAs, and I'm thinking of getting some stock instead of bonds this time.

I was just playing around with Bloomberg's "stock screener", but it's not very helpful that 4 of their 5 standard screeners come up with NO recommendations! All I found was a very short list of "profitable but unloved" stocks .. and I was already considering IBM.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Any prognostications on the stock market for 2017?

Message 26 of 26

I can't even hazard a guess as to what the market will do next year. I don't think the rate hikes will make much difference.

I think all the political hoo-haa will determine some of the action, but I don't know how all the hoo-haa will play out. Too political for me to determine.

DW inherited a small amount of money, but I'm afraid to do anything with it other than CD's...........

Anyone care to speculate?

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.