Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 401(K) to CD's

Message 1 of 2

Nothing wrong with being conservative and being concerned with what the market will do. Yes, roll it over to the CD if you intend to be using the money in the next five years. You have to invest for the long term to allow for market corrections, which very well may come. The other approach is to take a portion of your savings and leave it in the market for longer term, and possibly higher returns, and put the money into the cd that you may be using in the shorter term. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

401(K) to CD's

Message 2 of 2

I'm retired on permanent disability and have an existing 401(k) with my last employer.  My financial adviser recommends I move it to an annuity, which I don't want to do because I don't feel it meets my needs.  Rather than keep it in the market (well diversified), I am considering rolling it over to an IRA-CD account for at least 3 years at 3% interest rate.  I'm considering doing this to avoid the inevitable market correction that I feel we're due for.  

Does anyone have any advice on why I should or should not do this?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark