Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Make Your Home Sharter" -- Book Advertisement

Message 1 of 2

sl1239 wrote:

"...As a tech-savvy senior, I question AARP promoting Michael Miller's book, "My Smart Home for Seniors".  In theory, smart devices sound like a great idea; in reality, these devices can be hacked.  Personally, I would never have any of these devices in my home.  Whoever thought one of the three major credit reporting companies in the U.S. would be hacked?...".

It's a real conundrum, isn't it? There are so many good uses of smart technology that can save energy, save lives, and just make a lot of mundane tasks a bit easier, or even fun.

But yes, the problem is that all of this stuff can be hacked. And the 'average American', according to everything I've ever read, does not take the time and trouble needed to constantly change passwords, make those passwords complicated, or even install and continually update virus software. Have you ever read the lists of the most common passwords? It's 123456, and 12345678 as the top two.

You mention the credit reporting companies. The 'average American' once again, is ignorant and have no understanding of their credit scores, and no idea of what the credit reporting companies are. If you're working at that level of ignorance, you cannot protect yourself with your e-devices if you don't even understand what needs protecting.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

"Make Your Home Sharter" -- Book Advertisement

Message 2 of 2

As a tech-savvy senior, I question AARP promoting Michael Miller's book, "My Smart Home for Seniors".  In theory, smart devices sound like a great idea; in reality, these devices can be hacked.  Personally, I would never have any of these devices in my home.  Whoever thought one of the three major credit reporting companies in the U.S. would be hacked?

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date