Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

getting stronger after surgery

Periodic Contributor

getting stronger after surgery

I'm appalled by how weak I have become.  I'm just wondering whether I'll really be able to get a lot stronger at my age (83).  Anybody have this experience?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Silver Conversationalist

Yes you can, but you must work harder at developing and maintaining strength.  Start with low weight and only as many reps as you feel comfortable with.  Very gradually - increase the numbers.  There's lotsa videos on YouTube which are helpful.  Walking (particularly on up incline) is good.  I have had the experience.   Getting stronger.  Older than you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Yes you can, but you must work harder at developing and maintaining strength.  Start with low weight and only as many reps as you feel comfortable with.  Very gradually - increase the numbers.  There's lotsa videos on YouTube which are helpful.  Walking (particularly on up incline) is good.  I have had the experience.   Getting stronger.  Older than you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you!  It means a lot to hear from someone who has had the experience!  What should I look for on YouTube?  My balance is bad (horrendous, really) so current walking is with a rollator or cane.  I'll look for opportunities in the neighborhood, though.  Thanks again.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP