You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: advice on purchasing a new desktop computer-i have a dell with windows vista&concerned about

Message 1 of 4

I'm chiming in with Frozen. You need to be a bit more specific on what you want out of your machine, if you want a laptop or 'old fasioned' desktop (I have that), and how it will be used.

I'm have a Velocity computer. It's not one of the major brands, but has been written up and given accolades in the press, including PC magazine. You don't have to go with names everyone knows, such as Dell. In my case, I have a graphics card that blows away most of the competition. But, you may not care at all. I do have a Dell, flat screen monitor. 

Keep in mind that if you don't have good internet connection, it doesn't matter how much processing power you have. It's hard to go too wrong with any of the newer machines. Components are all pretty good. I would pay attention, whatever brand you get, to the hard drive. That is the major component which is still partly mechanical, and when it fails, will probably do so spectacularly. Having said that, make sure you have a backup unit (or use the cloud). I'm using a WD Passport which is smaller than my wallet (yes, about the same size as a closed wallet, but thinner).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: advice on purchasing a new desktop computer-i have a dell with windows vista&concerned about

Message 2 of 4
I guess the question is what do you want to do with your new technologically advanced Window10 or other operating system computer?

Just email and browse or more extensive use. Gaming? Make videos, etc.

On a tight budget or the skies the limit. Buying a new bigger and better monitor to use with the desktop or want to use your new 47" tv for streaming.

The great news is Windows 10 is extremely stable compared to Vista, and I've seen no cryptic crash messages.

Almost 1 year running and no crashes, no BSOD. Buy a new antivirus with your new desktop and you should run happily for ever.

I know more than a little about computers as does CatOw, my company builds laptops, desktops etc.
Don't worry, my minimum quantities are in the 500 quantity.

Lenovo, Dell and others are fine quality. It depends upon what you expect to do with your new purchase.

Frozen
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

@bb54425668  This is a good question to post in the Computer Questions and Tips forum. You can find it under Technology.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/Computer-Questions-Tips/bd-p/bg519

My latest computer, along with my desktop, is a Dell Laptop, touchscreen, 16 GB of Ram, one TB hard drive, Intel i7 processor. I updated the OS to Windows 10.

See Image, use this link.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/18956i834E91F7B5192D20

I  haven't had any problems with it or Windows 10.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

advice on purchasing a new desktop computer-i have a dell with windows vista&concerned about windows

Message 4 of 4

dvice

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users