Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Where to get help

Dad was bedridden at home for 17 years he passed last year still have mom bedridden at home no family to help have tried for years to get any help but to no avail any suggestions 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hello JR3933280:  First, please accept my condolences on your father's passing.  

Seventeen years is a long haul to get by with no help and you say that your mother is bedridden as well.   I am so glad that you reached out through this forum - the experts and other community members are here for you!  Caregiving can be such an isolating experience; I can certainly relate.  Hopefully, this post and connecting with others will make take away some of that isolation and point you toward some hands-on resources that can help you at home. 

Let's start with gathering a little more information.  Would you mind sharing whether your mom is an older adult?  What is her condition or illness and is she permanently disabled?  Are you able to work or are you a 100% at-home caregiver for your mom?   And, what are your biggest goals right now (like: are you looking for respite care, at-home medical help, considering whether mom should move into a medical facility)?  That will help us in suggesting ideas for you. 

A good place to start may be to call the AARP caregiving support number, which is 877-333-5885.  I am guessing you may have come through the AARP caregiving homepage to get to this online community, but in case you did not, the site is www.aarp.org/caregiving.  There, you will find many articles that may answer some of your specific questions as well as local resources guide. 

Thanks again for your post.  I hope this is a step forward into an era of balanced and supported caregiving for you! 

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP