Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What good is it?

Message 1 of 5
Probably one of the best discounts for me isn't a coupon but rather, talking to others, reading material that's going to help me in one way or another and its going to open the door for me to find some volunteering somewhere here in Oregon. I do however think I saw one heck of a lot of discounts somewhere on here... good luck.
Abby
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@od9528  Thanks for posting!!  There really are a lot of ways to save with the AARP membership - here is a link to the page that gives a listing of the many discounts available:  http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

As already mentioned there are several ways to get to the information on discounts. You can use the menu button at the top left on the red ribbon or at the bottom of the page, left hand side, in the list of items see Discounts. You can use the search icon, top right on red ribbon, and type in Discounts.

I have used mine at Denny's, Regal theaters, and Outback Steak House. Using this plus when I get senior discounts it all adds up. Looking for bargains and sales helps too. Today I saved 33 1/3 % on an item I bought by checking the price tag on it against what showed on the web site using my cell phone. The store said I was right that it is on sale.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@od9528  Hello Willie and welcome to the AARP forums!  That's a pretty thoughtful post you've made.

I don't know that there's really one succinct answer for that.  There are a number of discounts available and I think you just have to consistently ask for them and use them to see how much savings you, as an individual, will accumulate.

I looked on a typical page here a few minutes ago and there were discounts highlighted for Budget Rental cars and Outback Steak House.  I have used both without incident and each individual discount adds to your overall total.  When traveling, I always ask for an AARP discount at hotel & motel chains.  I tracked my discounted savings one year and it added up into the hundreds of dollars...and it was simply consistency in asking for the discount that created what, to me, was an impressive total.

Another thing to remember, there are a lot of chains that give senior discounts and are not affiliated with AARP.  I'm not a "fast food" person, but if I am with a group and thy want to stop somewhere, I can usually find something acceptable on the menu.  Many of these places will give free coffee or a small drink with an order as a senior discount...all of the little "freebies" add up as well...depending upon how much you use them.  I also noted on the AARP page I referred to earlier that Dunkin Donuts offers a free donut with a large coffee or beverage.  My late husband was raised in New England and his favorite brand of coffee was Dunkin Donuts...and he didn't mind having a "free" donut served with it!

I believe there's a list of available AARP discounts somewhere on this site...my advice is to look it over, decide which ones are "do-able" for you and always ask for the discount!  I'd also suggest you read Jeff Yeager's columns on AARP...he makes a lot of good suggestions for saving money!

http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/member-discounts/?intcmp=EWHERE-MBCHAE-NAV-DISC

Jeff Yeager

AARP's savings expert, author of 'How to Retire the Cheapskate Way'

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

What good is it?

Message 5 of 5

Hi my name is Willie, and this is the first time that I'm trying to reach out. I've registered with AARP for two years, and have been a member for one. And till now I have yet to see how and where I can get a discount. Oh I surely can use a discount at Walgreens, lord knows how expensive my medicine is now days. And if I ask for a discount price a Denny's  the food portion is like ordering a kids meal. So please tell me ( what good). Is my so called discount AARP Card ? 

Thank you for allowing me to ask.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season