Are you as smart as a high-tech car? Take this quiz and test your knowledge.
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Was a full time homemaker/mom for 34 yrs. now what?

Message 1 of 6

Remember , First love yourself and give yourself a big hug. The world loves you because you are a part of human kind. Think of all you have done to keep the train running and rethink your skill set. You are a valuable resource that needs to worked. The direction you take is up to you but you need to think of what make you happy. What makes you feel accomplished. What reflection brings you joy. Look in the mirror and give yourself a big hug and tell yourself' "I love me and I am the best I can Be" with that no negative vibe will get you down. Try it for a few days and let me know if you are starting to feel better. I know I will. Let joy and adventure come back to your heart. You can not find anything until you have your self appreciation on track.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I am sorry to hear about your challenges - it absolutely is difficult to navigate the workforce. You certainly developed many important skills from your years of running a home!

I'd love to hear more about what kind of work you are looking to do? What gets you excited? Also, where are you located?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6
No, you are not alone. I couldn't work due to rare medical condition for over twenty years and now, widowed without a career to fall back on has devastated me financially and I've lost all assets. I've looked into the Senior work suggestions but, haven't found any solutions. I read the listed job qualifications, skills and see they want seasoned workers, a lifetime of experience. It's depressing, indeed. I wish you well.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Also AARP Foundation has a program called Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) that might be a fit, especailly if you enjoy community service:

https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/income/scsep/info-2014/over-55-and-looking-for-a-job.h...

All the best to you!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Was a full time homemaker/mom for 34 yrs. now what?

Message 6 of 6

I really need a part time job right now. I have a college degree that is 34 years old and although I ran a retail store from 2000-2005 I have no real work experience for the last 34 years. Am I doomed to “Welcome to Walmart?” or “Do you want fries with that?”  I’m an angry, frustrated woman. Everything on this site is about reinventing your career and assumes you already have one. Or that you are well into retirement and looking for a little fun job. I am 56. I would like to think it’s not too late to do some part of what I wanted to do before I gave everything up. I volunteer now and I love those jobs but they can’t hire me. What can AARP offer me?  I couldn’t even find a place on this site to contact the powers that be and challenge them to have a place here just for women like me. I cannot be the only one. 

Kudos
Views
Replies