If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 31 of 44
No, they are scamming. They have everything on computer, and know, darn well, who's getting renewal notices and on what schedule they're getting them.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 32 of 44

I strongly agree.  AARP is scamming older folks by bombarding them with renewal offers every few weeks.  They know that many of us do not stay right on top of when our various subscriptions and memberships expire, so they exploit that fact to their monetary advantage.  I have complained to AARP Corporate, and they promised me that they would only send me a reminder a month before my membership expired.  They held to it, thankfully. Even so, they need to stop sending out these renewal offers to everyone until one month before memberships expire.  To do otherwise is disgraceful.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 44

I hsve received 4 renewal notices.  However, my card and online info state it doesn't expire until 6/15.  Please send renewal when due!  Colette Smith

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 44

While trying to check why we keep getting "RENEW NOW" Notices, I ran across ALL these postings.  I think AARP keeps sending all of these notices because (1) their prices change the longer you wait (I'm guessing) and (2) you put more money in their pockets WAY B4 your membership is due. We also get way too many requests for money to help AARP keep going.

AARP, you know when everybody's expiration ends, and if you don't, your computer should be able to trigger a renewal notice to be sent to the member a couple of month's B4 it does end.

Please eliminate the huge amount of paper you waste, and your members time and worry that their membership is going to expire.  This is a marketing gimmick and you should be ashamed of yourselves for pushing this on us. Unfortunately you have not done so in many years.  Maybe you would like to tell your WHOLE MEMBERSHIP WHY?

PLEASE STOP!!!

Sincerely,

2 old 4 this 2

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 44
I've already remewed on November 1st,2014 but I just got another renewal request. So, you are not alone. I don't think they are scamming. I just think they are inept!
Geno Primoff,
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 44

I TOTALLY agree with you.  I noticed monthly renewal notices beginning back in January of 2014 but my membership didn't expire until July.  A CONTINUAL bombardment of renewal notices.  Finally, I either phoned or emailed AARP, and they responded by saying that they purposely need to remind people who depend on retirement income so that they can budget for their membership fees.  So a lot of us can take that to mean that AARP thinks we're all either stupid or senile and need the relentless reminders. 

I paid my yearly membership in July 2014.  It is now October of 2014 and today I received an email notice that my membership expired in July 2014 and I need to pay now.  All of this despite a rescinding notice I received in August 2014 from AARP that stated that they made an error regarding asking for renewal payment when they should not have done so, and it would be corrected and would not happen again. HA!  It keeps happening, and it's getting worse.

Frankly, I don't see that AARP has done much for any needs that I have through the years, so I don't see the need to keep renewing membership for all the grief they're giving me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 44
Recycle!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 44
I have dupli-checks, i.e., carbonless copies of each check! I've already received two reminders of expiration of membership after I received my new card from renewal good thru 2015!! They wast so much paper!!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 44
I recently complained about this on the phone with an AARP rep! They just said " I don't know" and "is there anything else I can help you with!" Yes! Be trained to answer the question!!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 44
@gatorgorilla wrote:

Astraea,  Your organization and follow-through are thorough and impressive!  Thanks for sharing.  Pam

It's really a matter of self-preservation!! Although I do keep a handwritten check register, I really depend on an Excel spreadsheet I've kept at least 15 years now, where I categorize expenditures, and cross-check my bank statements. That's another easy to use the "filter" feature, to view checks made to a specific payee, and when, and I set up "upcoming payments" on the bottom, for all the repeat things like utilities & tax payments.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors