Have questions about your Medicare options? AARP's Medicare Resource Center can help.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 41 of 44

Astraea,  Your organization and follow-through are thorough and impressive!  Thanks for sharing.  Pam

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 42 of 44

It might be extra administrative effort, but I keep a list of charities, magazines & memberships I have, with columns for each contribution & renewal with period & amount. When I get a new solicitation or renewal reminder, I check that list. I make note of repeat reminders/solicitations, and if they get too frequent, I write to the head of the organization with the exact dates I've gotten their mail.

Many organizations start "reminding" you to renew 6 months before a membership/subscription expires, so that they have the money in-hand at the beginning of the next period. I've told more than a few charities that their repeat requests indicated inefficiency & inconsiderate operations IMHO, and if they didn't stop, I'd stop donating.

Although I'm not old or "forgetful", I certainly can't memorize all that important information, but it's there when I need it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 44

Agree Debbie (and Bob),

Hate the waste of paper and somewhat deceptive practices; think it's okay for some (like my mom who isn't digital savvy) but is also deceptive as I bought her lifetime membership when I finally qualified ten years ago and she still receives that renewal carpola, plus we baby boomers started the eco-friendly movement so strongly dislike AARP's waste. Heck I even feel guilty discarding their renewal emails...

Thanks for your post. Excellent!

denese

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

TOO-FREQUENT MAILINGS FOR RENEWING AARP MEMBERSHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 44 of 44

My husband and I have been AARP members for almost ten years now. (We normally buy a 3-year membership.) But then AARP sends us a "RENEW NOW!" packet every few months! After my 93-year-old grandmother died, we discovered that she had "renewed" her AARP membership at least 4 times in 1 year (with a 3-year membership fee each time!) She overpaid AARP by a LOT, and AARP never bothered to tell her she was overpaying. So you get a "HURRY UP & RENEW" packet every 4-6 months, and some people believe that their membership is about to expire. Why does AARP do this? Isn't it obvious? It's a SCAM! Magazine companies do it all the time! Our current membership doesn't expire until December 2015! But we still get the "HURRY UP & RENEW" packets...wasted paper & wasted AARP money. Lay off!

Bob and Debbie
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors