Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Saving money on cable and dish network expenses; WATCH OUT!

Contributor

Saving money on cable and dish network expenses; WATCH OUT!

Hi my name is Wendy Hansen and both my husband and I are members.  My husband retired in December and in October we contacted Direct TV to remove our dish network services.  After talking with them on the phone for over an hour, they convinced us to stay on at a greatly reduced rate of $60.00 per month as opposed to the $160 we had been paying.  We thought, ok, we can do that.  The only problem was when the bill came for the month the reduction was to begin, it was $153.00, wow a $7.00 reduction.  My husband called Direct TV and told them to shut it off and get their junk out of our home.  We then got hit with a bill for an early termination fee (which we are not going to pay.)  I spoke with some of our neighbors and found that they have had similar problems with Direct TV and Dish.  If you are looking to save money when you retire, don't negotiate with the cable/satellite companies, you can get a great plan with HULU for $40 a month and get all the movies you want to watch and some series you might be interested in.  

Periodic Contributor

I had same problem with comcast as a single Retired person. My fault for paperless billing my TV, cable, house phone bill was up $250.00 call comcast because the add more channel to package and there rental fee per box. There 260 channel plan. Told them only watch a hand full of channel so they suggested getting rid of two of the boxes $7.50 per box.

So i took back the 2 boxes to start with cost cutting. After waiting 1 hour in the store to return them and get a return slip  needless to say i was mad pissed off because i didn't get any ware with them at store.

While I was driving home mad i told myself it time to cut cord. It took two week to do research to fined read up (reviews) fined solution.

1. Internet  in todays world you need internet and if i was going to stream i needed it. Called 3 of the major providers in area prices $59.00 to 120.00.  but the rental charge for boxes $7.00 to $40.00.  Found out $59.00 was fiber optic and just about same download speed as others.   

Went with earthlink for provider $7.00 for box rental $59.00 service .

2. landline because 99% of us have cell phone a house phone is for safety. Was payin $25.00 a month plus equipment rental $18.00. Went to best buy out of 4 providers Ooma tele system was the best looking one. After setting up worked great (phone is only as good as intern you have) got phone bill  $6.85 per month. (taxes, fees, 911 )

3. TV service even with comcast I had netflix on top of movie channels from them. So i purchased 2 more Roku for other tv set. found a App on Roku for local channels Loca for $5.00 month all local channels. And app for Phillo all other channels for $20.00 for them.

So from $250. to $97.95 a month for what i need. 

This is just my personal experance to cut bills

I am looking to cut the cost of the cable , internet bill, house phone and cell phone  well .. Like you said it is to costly. I have a fire stick, and I have down loaded some apps

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Cell phone is Verizon 55+ plan best are right'

Dan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I had same problem with comcast as a single Retired person. My fault for paperless billing my TV, cable, house phone bill was up $250.00 call comcast because the add more channel to package and there rental fee per box. There 260 channel plan. Told them only watch a hand full of channel so they suggested getting rid of two of the boxes $7.50 per box.

So i took back the 2 boxes to start with cost cutting. After waiting 1 hour in the store to return them and get a return slip  needless to say i was mad pissed off because i didn't get any ware with them at store.

While I was driving home mad i told myself it time to cut cord. It took two week to do research to fined read up (reviews) fined solution.

1. Internet  in todays world you need internet and if i was going to stream i needed it. Called 3 of the major providers in area prices $59.00 to 120.00.  but the rental charge for boxes $7.00 to $40.00.  Found out $59.00 was fiber optic and just about same download speed as others.   

Went with earthlink for provider $7.00 for box rental $59.00 service .

2. landline because 99% of us have cell phone a house phone is for safety. Was payin $25.00 a month plus equipment rental $18.00. Went to best buy out of 4 providers Ooma tele system was the best looking one. After setting up worked great (phone is only as good as intern you have) got phone bill  $6.85 per month. (taxes, fees, 911 )

3. TV service even with comcast I had netflix on top of movie channels from them. So i purchased 2 more Roku for other tv set. found a App on Roku for local channels Loca for $5.00 month all local channels. And app for Phillo all other channels for $20.00 for them.

So from $250. to $97.95 a month for what i need. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP