Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Recumbent vs Upright Bikes, which do you prefer?

Message 1 of 10

@fwarren1 Happy to be of service. It's great to have another health-focused individual here! Let me know if I can offer support in the posting department. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

Thank you for your comments.  I enjoy sharing my fitness knowledge in an effort to promote healthy living.  However, I am not too familiar with posting material on the AARP website, so your suggestion is really appreciated.

As you suggested, I will place all future posts in the Healthy Living forum.  Again, thank you for your comments and support.

Thank you,

Frank

fwarren
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your comments.  I enjoy sharing my fitness knowledge in an effort to promote healthy living.  However, I am not too familiar with posting material on the AARP website, so your suggestion is really appreciated.

As you suggested, I will place all future posts in the Healthy Living forum.  Again, thank you for your comments and support.

Thank you,

Frank

fwarren
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@fwarren1 wrote:

@fwarren1 I took some time to check out your YouTube channel. Good stuff!  I like how you want to share your love and knowledge of healthy living. Such passion and dedication! I will be happy to support your efforts and so hope you will post more on the AARP online community!

I do have a suggestion, and that is that you post in the Healthy Living forum. http://community.aarp.org/t5/Healthy-Living/bd-p/bf63 rather than the Introduce Yourself forum. I think a greater number of interested people will find your posts there.

Best regards,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@Bendybones wrote:

I have a lot of trouble with my legs, so I have an Invacare handcycle that I use to get a little extra exercise with. It sits up quite a bit higher than the typical recumbent  cycle, so I have more visibility with it, but not quit as much as with a regular bike. Of course, it doesn't do much for leg exercise, but you get great upper body exercise and a good cardiac work out Smiley Wink .

Handcycle.jpg

@Bendybones Hello! 

You guys who ride handcycles are simply amazing! We've seen a number of handcyclists on the bike trails here in northern Colorado and have been wowed by the riders' athleticism. Where do you ride?

DH and I are recumbent trikers. We love it! We started riding 16 months ago and are approaching 5,000 miles. Here's a look at mine when it was new. Smiley Happy It isn't quite as spiffy right now due to road grime and splatter. Smiley Happy

hyper yellow catrike expedition.jpg

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I've used both at the gym. The upright, for me, gives me a better workout as I can more around more, but the recumbent is more comfy. Of course, if you have back issues or balance issues, but want to exercise using a bike, then go for the recumbent.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

I'm sorry for not responding sooner; I don't usually receive responses to my AARP posts.  In my comparison between a recumbent and upright bike, I am referring to indoor stationary bikes, not street bikes.

Thank you for your response,

Frank Warren

fwarren
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I have a lot of trouble with my legs, so I have an Invacare handcycle that I use to get a little extra exercise with. It sits up quite a bit higher than the typical recumbent  cycle, so I have more visibility with it, but not quit as much as with a regular bike. Of course, it doesn't do much for leg exercise, but you get great upper body exercise and a good cardiac work out Smiley Wink .

Handcycle.jpg

Thank God I'm a country boy!
Bill a.k.a. Bendybones
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Since you didn't post this in the "Health" or "Entertainment & Leisure" sections, perhaps you should differentiate between the types of bikes in an exercise setting, and out in a public one .. because there's a big difference. I've only been on an upright bicycle, and while I've heard that recumbents are better for the knees, they're also lower & provide for less visibiity, on the street & in crowded parks. Going a bike speeds, I would feel uncomfortable not having that higher vantage point, to better see walkers, runners, pets on leashes, children in carriages, roller bladers, etc.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Recumbent vs Upright Bikes, which do you prefer?

Message 10 of 10

fwarren
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season