Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Pushed to get packaged out

Message 1 of 4

The decision whether or not to take an exit incentive and to sign a waiver of your rights and claims under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) is never easy. While some of the facts you mention, particularly the comment, "she doesn't have it anymore," suggest that you may have been being treated unfairly based on your age, age discrimination cases are very difficult to prove.  For example, to be considered evidence of discrimination, that comment must have been made by a decisionmaker - i.e., your direct supervisor - and in close approximation to your leaving. And since, you are leaving "voluntarily" (I know you feel pushed out so that it's not truly voluntary) you would have to prove that the circumstances at your employer (i.e., being treated unfairly based on age) were such that a reasonable person would have felt no choice but to leave - a difficult burden to meet.  In deciding whether or not to leave, weigh your unhappiness with your work situation against whatever consideration your employer is offering.  You can ask for more consideration - of course, they could say no, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  If you do decide to leave, keep in mind that it may take you a while to find another job - another factor in determining whether the consideration they are offering is sufficient.  @Charlesincharge, I hope this information is helpful to you try to make your difficult decision.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4
Thank you so much for your advice - much appreciated!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

@Charlesinchargewrote:

I am leaving my job in 2 weeks. I have worked on and off for my present employer as a contractor and on staff for 13 years. I have 32 years experience. 

I am leaving because I have been overlooked, not supported and my time has been abused with no life/work balance.  

I started my exit discussions with my supervisor who then shared my wishes to leave with HR and management. They jumped on this and swiftly offered me an exit package. 

I have 2 more weeks and will need to sign a separation agreement with "promise not to sue". 

This is such a tough situation - Do I leave, take the package and go on with my life? Or do I take action. I am not alone in this company. There are many stories from others.

I am 56. I am talented and not "jaded". I love what I do and I am great at it. I have a few new prospects from other companies who were thrilled to hear I will soon be available.

I do not not want to perpetuate this tremendous issue of Ageism but I need to work and do not want to be blackballed from an industry.

What to do? I would love to hear from others with their stories and advice.

Forever young

Sounds to me that you were unhappy with the job, job appreciation and wanted out.  You did start this ball a'rolling, not them.  Don't see any age discrimination here at least the way you described the situation here.

Sounds like the decision is still in your ballpark but if you are that unhappy with so much resentment towards their lack of appreciation for you and you have those other potential leads - the grass might be greener elsewhere.

I have always been self employed but in my early career I did leave a very large company where I had an executive position because I found out one of my subordinates was drawing a salary higher than mine.  I filed an EEOC complaint and the reason given by the company was that my subordinate had a higher education level and he was in line for promotions.  I left the job to him and started my own business which I loved until I retired.

You are ONLY 56 - life is too short to be miserable in a job.  Follow up on those other job leads and perhaps you will find those greener pastures.

Best of Luck in your decision and your future. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Pushed to get packaged out

Message 4 of 4

I am leaving my job in 2 weeks. I have worked on and off for my present employer as a contractor and on staff for 13 years. I have 32 years experience. While at this company I have been part of its tremendous growth. I have hired and trained employees. I have been an integral part of a team of 4 that has now grown to over 30. I have worked hard, efficiently, passionately, tirelessly and am basically on call because of the ease of today's technology. I have never been promoted and have same title for years. My salary and responsibilities have increased. I am held accountable for everything we do on this team.

I am leaving because I have been overlooked, not supported and my time has been abused with no life/work balance.  

I started my exit discussions with my supervisor who then shared my wishes to leave with HR and management. They jumped on this and swiftly offered me an exit package. 

I cant help but think - were they planning to let me go in the near future? Was this an easy way out for them? I heard from another employee how an exec said to all the execs, "She doesn't have it anymore". 

It's important to note I have had glowing reviews for years. Only this year I received a low score on quality of work - though our company had it's best year ever and I received an amazing bonus based on sales. 

I have 2 more weeks and will need to sign a separation agreement with "promise not to sue". 

This is such a tough situation - Do I leave, take the package and go on with my life? Or do I take action. I am not alone in this company. There are many stories from others.

I am 56. I am talented and not "jaded". I love what I do and I am great at it. I have a few new prospects from other companies who were thrilled to hear I will soon be available.

I do not not want to perpetuate this tremendous issue of Ageism but I need to work and do not want to be blackballed from an industry.

What to do? I would love to hear from others with their stories and advice.

Forever young

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies