Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Nursing Home Placement

Message 1 of 3

Good morning, 

I think what you're doing is terrific. I remember when I was younger, we had to place my grandmother in a nursing home and I remember what a horrific experience that was for my mom at the time. It broke her heart seeing her mom in such discomfort, but we couldn't afford to have her live with us at the time. I love hearing stories like yours because you're out there, making a difference for these people who sadly sometimes get forgotten about. It makes me really happy to hear. I have no doubt your parents are looking down and beyond proud of the work you're doing and the difference you're making. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply: Nursing Home Placement

Message 2 of 3

Janice,

You sound like an angel!  blessyouangel.gif

@JaniceH555070 wrote:

I have volunteered at a nursing home in Dowling Park, Florida for the past 10 years.  Both my parents are deceased and I thought I would never be able to volunteer.  I enjoy the relationships I have formed with the residents.  Some have family members who come on a daily basis.  Others have no one.  There is one particular resident who LOVES being here.  I think it is personality as he likes to banter back and forth with the staff members thus getting LOTS OF ATTENTION.  My favorite tasks include passing trays at mealtime, conducting BIBLE STUDY, helping with crafts and bake club.  Nursing homes are a difficult adjustment for many and having a caring, compassionate staff helps the resident to make the necessary adjustment.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Nursing Home Placement

Message 3 of 3

I have volunteered at a nursing home in Dowling Park, Florida for the past 10 years.  Both my parents are deceased and I thought I would never be able to volunteer.  I enjoy the relationships I have formed with the residents.  Some have family members who come on a daily basis.  Others have no one.  There is one particular resident who LOVES being here.  I think it is personality as he likes to banter back and forth with the staff members thus getting LOTS OF ATTENTION.  My favorite tasks include passing trays at mealtime, conducting BIBLE STUDY, helping with crafts and bake club.  Nursing homes are a difficult adjustment for many and having a caring, compassionate staff helps the resident to make the necessary adjustment.  

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet