Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: NEW SINGLE AT 65

Message 1 of 23

Your welcome.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

Thank you very much @debbiedoll1

i like your support of this Love!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23
yes it a little hard to find somebody special
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23

I had the same experience. I hated online dating services, and will never use them again. I too tried meet up groups and I also found a similar ratio of Women to men. I will just have to be single unless things work out with my friend for thirty years. Of course I hope so.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

In our 60s we do become more comfortable it seems, no longer willing to settle easily.

I've had my share of bad company...would rather not have that ever again!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

I've tried internet dating, off and on several years ago. No good luck! I join Meet up groups for social events, but feel just as disillusioned (more women than men ...

by far)!!!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

I feel your pain! I became a widow at only 42 and raised 2 teenagers by myself. But I survived and still love to travel with good friends. I also know there are lonely, decent men out there, too but I refuse to go to bars. What's left? The more I hear about internet dating sites the more hesitate I am.

Germangirl/Huntsville Tx

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

I have been single since 1991 when I got out of an abusive marriage.  4 kids in tow, no child support, etc.  I wished for a prince for years, had some relationships, but never could bring myself to get married again. None lasted more than a couple of years, so I realized the common denomitator was ME.  I was not willing to compromise, as that made me feel trapped.  I know, it's baggage, etc.   Now at age 68, I've worked myself into a good living situaiton, retired with enough resources to not work, in fairly good health, so I have made the CHOICE to continue to be single and do social stuff with other single ladies and senior groups.  I don't want to even be concerned with the committment, compromise, emotional ups and downs, etc.that come with a romantic relationship. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster wrote:

Hi @sanlee916 and welcome to the online community!

Who needs a prince anyway, right? Don't we actually save ourselves? Smiley Happy

Epster

Easy to say; you married young & are still married!

@ASTRAEA Smiley Happy Yeah, true, guilty. 

I didn't mean that singles shouldn't look for love --perish the thought!  Love makes the world go round, after all. Yes: look for it, cultivate it, grab it by all available hairs if you like. I was just saying (with too few words, obviously --and sorry), that it is good to know how to live alone and to fend for oneself. It is also nice to be a couple.

About my prince: I just asked him who does most of the 'saving' around here, the 'prince' or 'princess'. He said princess. Good answer, of course. Smiley Happy  It's also true. Having lived alone all through high school, (and student teaching while maintaining a 4.0) I became quite aware of my ability to fend for myself. Naturally those skills translate well to coupledom. So I'm really only saying that your self sufficient skills will serve you ladies well no matter what your future brings.

Wishing you and all single ladies a prince,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

@sanlee916 wrote:

So true!! Actually I gave up on waiting for a Prince many many years ago and became comfortable knowing I could be self sufficient in life alone. However, I just noticed this community of folks our age and thought it might be fun to bring up dating discussions (holiday festivities make us feel lonely). What can we do to expand our very few chances of romance??  Are we simply dead at this age??

@sanlee916 Smiley Happy I hear ya.  I have two unmarried sisters. One was widowed in her 30s and never remarried; the other divorced after 30 years of marriage and still (10 years hence) doesn't date. I agree it is valuable to be able to live alone ... and It is nice not to as well. Smiley Happy

The holidays can make those of us with non-traditional families feel out of sorts and lonely, too. Not the same thing, but similar enough to know that what you say is true.

I cannot believe that romance is dead for those over 65. A neighbor whose wife died suddenly has found love again. You can too. Believe it! Smiley Happy 

Wishing you all the best,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors