AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: My Personal Battle Overcoming Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Message 1 of 6

I have carpal and tarsal tunnel, diagnosed in my early 60's - the result of overworking my hands and feet. Doctor prescribed meds but I did not take it. I tried plant based vitamin supplements and other nutrients. Worked on eating the right food.  I stopped from overusing my hands like working in the garden, trimming shrubs, and forcing to open jars and bottles using my hands alone, I stopped letting my feet work so hard. So far so good.  I just observe what works and what not - listen to my body. In short, the key now in living my life is - MODERATION on everything.

Vitamin B complex helps for the tingling and numbness, and so other supplements. I would think it that way because now I tend to forget I have those issues. I am in my early 70's.

Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the tips! I'm glad to know there isn't a ton of pain during the recovery process, but more discomfort. I can deal with some discomfort but I have such a low pain tolerance. Just ask my wife!

How many years ago did you have the surgery?

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Not bad....a couple of weeks of discomfort, no real pain.  Longer before released to lift, etc., but can't recall exactly how long.  Just be sure they order PT for you, ideally beginning before surgery, but at least a couple of weeks after.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and responding! I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well but am sorry to hear you never regained the strength in your hand. That's something I'm very fearful of. Can I ask how long the recovery time for the surgery was? 

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Ed

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

I had the surgery.   I did not know I had carpal tunnel...wierd I know.  I had numbness in my neck area.  My doctor sent me for nerve tests and the results said it was being caused by carpal tunnel, not my neck discs.   After the surgery the numbness went away fortunately.  However my right hand never regained its full strength.   I was not prescribed physical therapy until I asked for it when the strength didn't come back.  PT said that was too late.   Best results with PT starting before surgery!

Good luck with yours!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

My Personal Battle Overcoming Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Message 6 of 6

I had worked in the same office for about twenty years when I landed my first job out of college. After being continuously inspired by my love for Steven Spielberg and chasing after a degree as a filmmaker, it only made sense that I'd spend the next two decades working for a payroll company in a small cubicle surrounded by my kids' loud, I mean, beautiful artwork. 

In a million years, I would not have guessed that most of my adult life would be spent putting numbers into a computer but despite my hatred of math and the complete opposite way my career was then headed, all in all, I was happy. My job offered unique benefits, flexibility when all three of my kids' came down with strep throat (on a thousand occasions) and I was afforded personal growth, which at the end of the day, brought value to my life that I was doing something right. 

That was of course until the pain in my wrist started to occur, a pain I would end up ignoring for far too long. At first, I just assumed it was soreness from typing so much as in the beginning it was not happening all of the time. The pain would normally go away at night when I got home and especially once I was away from my desk. Not only that, everybody I know did their work on computers. If carpal tunnel syndrome was such a big deal I would know more people who have it or have read more stories about it online.

It was not until years later that I started to realize that the pain was not going away and in fact, it was getting worse. What used to be a general soreness when I was typing on my computer became trouble in grabbing certain objects like my coffee mug or the keys to my car. All of a sudden these minor symptoms were turning into a real problem, one that I would need to find a solution for fast.

After finally seeing a doctor about my problem I was informed that I had carpal tunnel syndrome and that I could have a surgery to try and fix the issue. However, the idea of unnecessarily going under the knife when it was not absolutely necessary along with the scary stories I had heard of people who did not have a successful result after getting the surgery I made the decision for myself that this was not what I was going to do.

What I did instead, was learn to manage my physical suffering and take steps to relieve some of the pressure and reduce some of the pain. First I made it a habit to take breaks when typing for long periods of time at my computer. In addition, I got into the habit of icing my wrists several times a day to help reduce the swelling, sometimes even wearing a splint on my wrist at night to help keep my wrist in a neutral position. For some, this may not have been the right decision, but luckily for me, just these small changes ended up helping immensely and I was able to solve my problem without the help of a major surgery.

Do you have carpal tunnel syndrome? What home remedies worked for you? Did you get surgery? If so, did it make a big improvement?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Share your best experiences traveling while caregiving.

woman taking selfie with man in wheelchair on the beach

Top Authors