Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: JOINING AARP MAKES ME FEEL SO OLD, BUT ITS SO GREAT THOUGH~~~

Message 1 of 13

@SPOYLEDBRATT43  I like your enthusiasm and positive attitude!  It will help you find many areas of personal interest here in the AARP Community forums and discussion groups, so it appears there may be a lot more reading in your future!  (no candy or $ though!)

If you look directly above this discussion, to the red ribbon running across the page, you will see the word "volunteer."  Click on that to find direction and articles about volunteer opportunities in your area of Oregon.  Good luck!

I hope to see you around the discussion community at large, contributing your thoughts and spreading your enthusiastic energy for trying new things!  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@SPOYLEDBRATT43 LOL! On the hard of hearing thing. Smiley Happy

Awesome that your insurance hasn't gone up. (It shouldn't, either, for that driving record, imho) Huzzbah!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

What a great quote!! Thank You for sharing it... I hope to begin volunteering soon for AARP, not sure what exactly but im looking for a way to pitch in... I love to read and reading all the great information is awesome... You know I started reading before I started kindergarten. I use to have to read to everyone who came over. I got paid  25 cents for reading newspaper articles to Aunts, Uncles, family friends. Gee were those the days. Back in my day 25 cents meant one heck of a lot of candy.. lol.. AWE!! THE GOOD OLD DAYS!! GLAD I WAS BORN IN 1960... THE GOOD YEARS. KIDS TODAY ARE NEVER GOING TO KNOW HOW GREAT IT WAS BACK THEN.

Abby
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

The ticket hasnt even showed up on my insurance either.. So a win, win, situation.

Abby
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Here in Oregon my speeding ticket was the 2nd one ever. The last one was in 2006. The judge offered me this particular class and if completed successfully  within 4 months and providing I dont get another speeding ticket in this time, the speeding ticket will be taken off my record. I am not sure what the fine would have been but I had to pay $100 court costs and thanks to joining AARP, I took the class for something like $ 13 bucks or something like that. I needed to review anyway so its a good thing for me to watch.

Abby
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13
Okay!! Sorry but I'm kind of hard of hearing... lol
Abby
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@SPOYLEDBRATT43  Welcome aboard thanks for joining us - if we can help you navigate or find discussions of interest, please let us know.  I love the way you found us Smiley Happy

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@cat0w wrote:

@Epster  You said, Won't probably help you with that speeding ticket, but you can get an auto insurance discount for, I think, 5 years if you submit proof of completion to your agent.

As a retired Public Safety Officer I know that people with a speeding ticket are often given the choice of paying a fine or taking a Drivers course depending on the number of speeding tickets they have received. They take the Drivers course because it is cheaper than a fine in most cases.

Hiya @cat0w,

Right. Good clarification. Smiley Happy 

Sorry to be unclear. I was thinking specifically about the insurance rates. Depending upon one's driving record, and the number of miles over the speed limit the cited driver was, his or her insurance company may hike those rates.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@Epster  You said, Won't probably help you with that speeding ticket, but you can get an auto insurance discount for, I think, 5 years if you submit proof of completion to your agent.

As a retired Public Safety Officer I know that people with a speeding ticket are often given the choice of paying a fine or taking a Drivers course depending on the number of speeding tickets they have received. They take the Drivers course because it is cheaper than a fine in most cases.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@SPOYLEDBRATT43  Hi Abby!  It's always great to see a newbie come "into the fold" and behold the enthusiasm they bring with them!

There are a lot of things to read about and a lot of discussion forums with topics as diverse as politics & current events, health, finance, entertainment, travel, pets and more to become involved in and we're glad you jumped right in!   Judging from your enthusiasm, I know you'll be a welcome addition to the conversations and discussions.  You can even create a topic 'thread' of your own in one of the forums if you feel led to do so.

56 isn't old at all!  Isn't it the new 36???  That's what everyone tells me!  LOL!  Woman Wink

Enjoy!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors