Periodic Contributor

Is there a simpler AARP web site?

I'm not kidding!

I've been a member now for 3 years and I do love AARP. But I scarcely come to this web site. I can't abide the thing.

No, I'm not illiterate. I know how to surf the web. But I come here and there's just so much stuff; a wealth of information so rich, so scrumptious it overwhelms me and overpowers me completely.

I'd rather not be overwhelmed so I don't come.

Where can I go for simplicity?

Yes, AARP serves a large population with diverse and varied interests. But that ain't no excuse.

Please, I want to avail myself of the benefits of my membership. Can you KISS!

habrown
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @mimi0000, I second @LaDolceVita's suggestion to visit our Writing & Books forum found here, http://community.aarp.org/t5/Writing-Books/bd-p/bg155. To get started, check out a discussion about What's Everyone Reading.

I totally agree with all the comments on this topic regarding difficulty on searching and locating information. I just joined today and I am finding myself overwhelmed with just simply finding and locating the site on logging in. I consider myself computer savvy, since I am currently working with a Federal agency and one of my hats that I wear is managing a website for our office. I am constantly trying to keep our website computer friendly to our online visitors. This site could use someone updating and organizing for this community.

Periodic Contributor

I agree. This site needs improvement to be more user friendly. I called AARP to guide me to the chatroom....

I come to the chatroom to relax, but I get confused instead.

I have not figured out yet how to introduce myself.

Mariella

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'd like to respond to Mariella's @Mariella2019 comment about introducing yourself but I don't know where this reply will land.

Mariella, if you follow @cat0w's directions you'll get to "Introduce Yourself." And it seems in introducing yourself you can start a topic on just about anything you'd like. That's how I got here.

I didn't know it at the time I was writing my gripes about the site that I was actually introducing myself to the community. And here we are.

Have a go at it, Mariella. Let's hear your voice.

habrown
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

haBrown,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry just read it now. Have not visited the site for a long time. Still trying to get used to navigating the community site - a bit confusing for me. I will look around existing topics to make sure there will be no duplication when I start mine.

Thanks,

Mariella

•  
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

hb399

Good to hear from you. I already introduced myself. It is titled "intro".

There is not much information, but I can add one of these days now that I am learning to hover around the site.

Mariella

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Mariella2019   You said, I have not figured out yet how to introduce myself.

To Start A Topic in Introduce Yourself, click on All Forum Topics at the top or bottom of this discussion. This will take you to the Introduce Yourself forum, then click on Start A Topic and introduce yourself telling us whatever you want to about yourself.

Silver Conversationalist

Here are a few tips to make it easier. Do you have a Favorites/Bookmarks folder/list? Mine is titled AARP, in Microsoft Edge and IE. See image below.

AARPFavorites.JPG

Have you created any Bookmarks. I have the ones I check and read the most. See image below.

AARPBookmarks.JPG

To answer the question about starting a new topic. See image below. Click on Start A Topic.

AARPStartATopic.JPG

If you are looking for something in particular you can always use the Search icon on the right in the big red bar.

Silver Conversationalist

See my complete post below.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

See my complete post below. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

See my complete post below. (Message 10)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Agree with your sentiments. I'm a long-time PC user having learned Windows, for my job, in the early 90's. This site is not as organized, or intuitive, as it could be. Doesn't have a robust search function either (missing from many sites, to be honest).

Also, to be honest, website design is difficult and really takes a huge amount of input, meaning lots of research with people who will use the site, to organize a good website.

I was a computer programmer. It's one thing to be able to code, and another to be able to design a site that is good for users. It can be done, but at a lot of time and expense.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

You are absolutly correct. The webpages are crowded and confusing. You leave one page and likely will not be able to find it again. The instructions I find in the "Help" section do not match the web pages I am viewing. The message board instructions state there is a button on this page to post a new message. All I have found so far is the button to reply to your post. Some elements and pull down menues are hidden behind icons with obscure or unfathonable meanings. I spend a lot of time reading the instrunctions again and again and trying to determine what might be trying to tell me. Mostly I log off and go have fun with more active and enjoyable pleasures.

Bill B.
Silver Conversationalist

@bb28747849   You said, You leave one page and likely will not be able to find it again.

Since I don't know what device you are using I can only speak about my Desktop and Laptop using Windows 10. There are several ways I can get back to another page, the back arrow, I can do a right click and have each new topic/discussion open in another tab or another window.  This way I can move back to the tab that has the page I want to look at or cascade the windows and go back to what I want to see and read. I can also view my history in my browser to see where I have visited.

You said, The message board instructions state there is a button on this page to post a new message. All I have found so far is the button to reply to your post.

Your right, there is not a button, you have to use Start A Topic as shown in my reply message 10, when you are looking at a topic and replying. The button is available when you are in a Community Group where it shows all topics. Example, Online Community>Home and Relationship>Introduce Yourself. Click on All Forum Topics at the top or bottom of this discussion.

I hope this helps.

Social Butterfly

Exactly, cat0w!

This is a very common issue with sites; depending on the admin, they may or may not remember to change the default.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@habrown and @bb28747849 

Thank you both for your valuable and candid feedback about this site.  We are always working to improve things for users and will be sharing your sentiments with our team.

AARPTeri
Social Butterfly

How about book discussions...... would people enjoy that?
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly
Periodic Contributor

huh? book discussions?

are you sure you wanna post this post in this section @mimi0000?

or have i missed something?
habrown
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I wish!  This website is user unfriendly....:(

Recognized Social Butterfly

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

I wish!  This website is user unfriendly....:(

I am sorry to see you not posting these days.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

When responding to other users’ posts for penpals, dating, or for other communication, please do not post your personal information (email, address, phone number) in the forum.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png