Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Introducing

Message 1 of 11
Dalia? WHAT FREE TIME. Your job, your mom. In similar situation, seemed there was no free time.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@s3t1t0ch3r wrote:

Hi, I'm Lenita. Until just recently I was caregiving for my mom. This will probably be my last post because she tragically passed away. They think it was a heart attack.

I have one piece of advice to pass on. If you are the sole caregiver and are a family member make sure you are a signer on all of your loved one's accounts, not just one of them. I am going through financial stress and struggle because there are some important accounts that I wasn't a signer on.

I miss my mother very much and this is just an added stress that could easily have been avoided.

Hi @s3t1t0ch3r  Lenita, I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope you will stick around. There are many supportive, caring people here. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Hi, I'm Lenita. Until just recently I was caregiving for my mom. This will probably be my last post because she tragically passed away. They think it was a heart attack.

I have one piece of advice to pass on. If you are the sole caregiver and are a family member make sure you are a signer on all of your loved one's accounts, not just one of them. I am going through financial stress and struggle because there are some important accounts that I wasn't a signer on.

I miss my mother very much and this is just an added stress that could easily have been avoided.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Introducing Bettie

Message 4 of 11

@bm95995161 wrote:

Hi, I'm a retired person who loves music, poetry, reading, nature, my brilliant son, and my two amazing grandchildren, among other wonderful things on this planet. Lately I've been spending time watching the news feeds on television and reading about what is happening here and elsewhere, and I have to admit that I'm extremely disturbed by the lack of civil discourse and the painful images of natural and manmade destruction. I look forward to a time when all humanity can see that people are people and everyone is worth caring about despite what some of us want to believe.  

@bm95995161  Hello and welcome to the online community, Bettie! I hear ya about the nature of recent news. It's distressing to say the least. I don't have TV, but follow about a zillion reporters and newsmakers on Twitter, so I use that as a news feed. I bet I've spent no more than 3 hours over there in the last month. I'm detoxing, you see. Smiley Happy Maybe you could relieve your soul from the heavy weight of the news feed and feel better? Taking a break works for me, anyway.  I wish you joy and peace in this troubling time.

hello.jpgHello!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Hi @s3t1t0ch3r@daliat212842 and @d885089c and welcome to the online community!

I am not a caregiver, so cannot speak to those issues, but I know there are lots of folks on these boards with expert knowledge and firsthand experience, so you'll be able to find helpful discussions and people here.

@AARPTeri gave this link above, but it's worth repeating, so here's a link to an area of these boards dedicated to caregiving. I wish you each strength and peace while you care for your loved ones. http://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/ct-p/Caregiving

Be well,

Epster

ani note to say hi.gifJust a note to say H! Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

Hi Beverly, Can you find a more flexible job? I find that my job as a substitute teacher is flexible enough to allow me to take my mother to her appointments and do all the other caregiving duties I have. It also allows me time off when I'm stressed from burn-out the way I was this morning.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Introducing Bettie

Message 7 of 11

Hi, I'm a retired person who loves music, poetry, reading, nature, my brilliant son, and my two amazing grandchildren, among other wonderful things on this planet. Lately I've been spending time watching the news feeds on television and reading about what is happening here and elsewhere, and I have to admit that I'm extremely disturbed by the lack of civil discourse and the painful images of natural and manmade destruction. I look forward to a time when all humanity can see that people are people and everyone is worth caring about despite what some of us want to believe.  

SaidWho
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Hi! I'm Beverly and using my mom Donna's account. I'm not sure how to change the name to mine on my forum profile. My mom is 73 and has her mind for the most part. Her physical body is failing more quickly than we expected. We keep finding more and more things wrong. It's affecting my job and I'm scared I might lose it because I have to go to every appointment. I think I just need a place to talk and find support. Thanks!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

Hi, I'm Lenita. I caregive for my elderly mother. She lives alone in her own home. I live in my own home and work from there. I go to her place about twice a week, staying over Friday nights. At times it can be exhausting. I love to grocery shop for her. I also pay her bills. She is vision impaired and has congestive heart failure. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am her only caregiver. I had a brother, but he passed away. Her neighbors will help sometimes, but not now that she has the 'flu. Even her housekeeper steers clear of her when she's sick, so I really am the only one at this time.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

@daliat212842  Welcome we are so glad you are joiing us.  There is a great area for caregivers too - http://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/ct-p/Caregiving that may interest you!

Let us know if you need help finding topics.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors