Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: I like being alone, but it can get lonely

Message 1 of 4

I don't mind being alone if I have something to do that is better done alone. Spending time with people I like, however, is important too. 🙂

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

I totally get that.  I'm an introvert and LOVE being alone, but at the same time I feel lonely.  I don't want to go to social events, but I want to have friends.  It is hard to have friends when I don't like getting together! 

When I was younger it was not a problem because I was into horses, and when I boarded my horse at a stable I made several good friends because we were each at the barn doing what we loved and we would sometimes trail ride together, go out for pizza afterwards, go watch a horse show or horse auction together, etc.

But I moved to another state and got my own little tiny acreage and although I still have some contact with old friends through Facebook and LinkedIn and holiday cards, it is not the same.

Also I got old (63) and no longer have horses and cannot afford the horse habit anymore (need to save for retirement).

I wish I could find a hobby that I loved like I loved horses that would bring me in contact with a new pool of potential friends. 

I have seen that there is a meetup in a town nearby that meets on Saturday mornings at 10 AM, but I still work and don't want to have to get up on Saturday morning, plus after a work week of the horrid open office environment at work, I don't want to be in proximity to another human! ha ha

Do you have any hobby that would help you develop some friendships?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Retired Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Hi Jeanie,

Welcome to the online community! Let us know if you have any questions as you explore the various forums. One you might want to check out is Our Front Porch--a great place to check in daily (if you want) and meet others and form online friendships.

Enjoy!

Vicki

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

I like being alone, but it can get lonely

Message 4 of 4

The subject line probably sounds confusing, but to me, it's been a way of life. I'm in my 60's, am a retired teacher, and have always been a loner, probably leaning towards social anxiety. The thing is, it gets lonely. Email is perfect for me. If I make a mistake, I can simply go back and fix it. This probably sounds crazy, huh?

Jeanie
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

When responding to other users’ posts for penpals, dating, or for other communication, please do not post your personal information (email, address, phone number) in the forum.