Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How To Get The New High Priced Drugs Discounted---What's The Best Way

Message 1 of 2

@at81307521 wrote:

I have never had to pay more than  $35 for a copay under D with Aetna and now my blood work results for my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma requires a drug called IMBRUVICA.The co pay is horrendous.  $1,400 month

Actually that is not a bad price.  How much is your insurer paying?  Oral Cancer drugs are expensive.  

GoodRx Medicare Coverage IMBRUVICA

Have you investigated a new part D plan which might have better coverage?

There may not be one but we are now in open enrollment until 12/07/2017 so you can see what your current plan will be for 2018 and what other plans might offer.  

At that price, it will not take long to work out of the donut hole and get to the other side so investigate how long it will take (how many months of paying), how much after you reach catastrophic coverage - average it all together to see your yearly cost.  If you need help in determining this, you can talk to your state SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance Program) representative.

Just make sure you know your coverage cost for this med for next year since we are already in November.

Enter your state on this Medicare site and they should be able to help you with locating the SHIP contact in your state.

Medicare.gov - Contacts

I googled IMBRUVIC patient assistance and several nonprofits came up - they will probably have eligibility criteria but just make sure they are reputable ones - the drug manufacturer should be able to tell you.  I did see the Johnson and Johnson Patient Assist Foundation come up.

The actual drug website has both patient and affordability support.  so check with them too - phone number is also listed.

Imbruvica Patient Resources and Information.

Your oncologist is also a good resource - talk with him/her about your cost and see if they can identify any other place that might help you with the cost.  Ask him how long you will be on it and if there will be marker checks to see if it is working.  It sounds like a good and promising treatment for your type of cancer.

Usually people are advised to see if there is an alternative drug at a lower price but with cancer meds there usually isn't plus you want the best, right!?

Good Luck-

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How To Get The New High Priced Drugs Discounted---What's The Best Way

Message 2 of 2

I have never had to pay more than  $35 for a copay under D with Aetna and now my blood work results for my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma requires a drug called IMBRUVICA.The co pay is horrendous.  $1,400 month

Lon
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies