Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Hello! 60-year old Black Man Here

Message 1 of 4
Forgot to say, I've been paying on and off for AARP since I was 50. Just haven't seen much out of here, and don't know how long they've been giving lifetime memberships. If I thought it would do something for me long before you saw my post, I'd consider that. But, I don't like throwing money around in "hopes" that I can actually get something out of AARP. I don't have enough to throw away. LOL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

No, no problem adjusting at all.  I'm just extremely busy, and have to spend my time doing things that will actually get me somewhere at this point.  I've been retired since I was 52.  My life is full; I am full; having a blast.  I just know how businesses seem to be working these days, not how it used to be, and yes I was venting.  I chat with way too many people on another platform ... I actually mentor a crap load of them.  I can't spend my time doing that on AARP.  I make YT vlogs, and just a gazillion other things, including starting a business.

Perhaps I'll bump into things that accidentally do something for me on this website.  Yes, I've got lots of questions ... especially about protections of elderly consumers.  I keep getting screwed by businesses out there, who are making me spend frivilous time trying to fight them ... mostly with no results.  And, that isn't because I'm an elder!  It's because this country is going to hell in a handbasket.  Soooooooooooo, with that, I bid you a good day and adieu.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

Hi @r493696g and welcome to the online community.

Sounds like you've been having a time adjusting to the shifting parameters that seem to accompany aging. This is a good place to get a few things off your chest, as you have done, and also to chat with others who have walked the road before you. So I encourage you to look around, participate in interesting conversations and ask questions. I think you'll find that this website is a loaded resource for those of us entering our retirement years. Smiley Happy

DH and I bought a lifetime AARP membership some 5 or 6 years ago (we're in our late 50s). We figure that's one way to make the membership pay: get it super cheap and super early. Smiley Happy  Like you, I have not found insurance saving to be a realized part of my membership benefits. I just don't seem to be able to find cheaper insurance than I have with my long-time home/auto insurer. I do have an AARP cash-back credit card, and, since I use that like a checkbook (running monthly expenses through it and paying it off each month), actually earn money for using it. And I've gotten good deals on gift cards through the Rewards for Good program. (Recently bought about a truckload of new clothing at clearance prices using a gift card I got here at 15% off face value.)

So those are ways I've made our AARP membership pay.

I'm neither black nor a vet, but agree with you: it's viscious out there. And we are not taking good care of our vets. It's shameful, really. Please continue to be mindful and be careful.

Wishing you a brilliant future,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hello! 60-year old Black Man Here

Message 4 of 4

Well, at the risk of ... let me actually not say it.  Anyway, I am a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, a fireball of a man, and getting ready to publish part of my autobiography.  I would mention it here, but will wait for a publicist to guide me through the ins-and-outs of this nightmare of a country we live in.  I don't even know if my membership is current with AARP.  I keep thinking it's not all its hyped up to be.  Went looking around for better car insurance, thinking my age would help, but still haven't seen anything close to what a military bank is charging me.  Won't help with dental coverage, either.  Since I'm not a retired veteran, I'm just disappointed with many businesses throughout this country.  Nobody protecting us anywhere. I remember a time when government agencies didn't allow companies to become monopolies, and definitely the underclass is unprotected.

Okay, I looked and this is probably why my post isn't showing up, yet.  I let my membership expire last September, and didn't find any benefit in it.  Plus, I'm broke as a joke; had to cut back on all these things I paid for, but didn't help any part of my life.  Believe it or not, I'm a positive guy, with a great outlook on life.  This is supposed to be my twilight years, right?  Well, things have never looked brighter for me.  Hello, Black AARP!

Tags (4)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors