Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hartford abandoned us and did not say a word by email or phone or snail mail

Message 1 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...Sounds like they might have been using a debit card instead of a regular credit card....".

Ooooh. That would explain the 'bank statement' thing that didn't make sense to me. I've never had a debit card --- didn't occur to me. But sounds like OP doesn't understand, fully, what they have signed up for..

I have never had a debit card either but it fits with the explanation the OP gave.

I agree, sounds like there is some misunderstanding.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hartford abandoned us and did not say a word by email or phone or snail mail

Message 2 of 9

"...Sounds like they might have been using a debit card instead of a regular credit card....".

Ooooh. That would explain the 'bank statement' thing that didn't make sense to me. I've never had a debit card --- didn't occur to me. But sounds like OP doesn't understand, fully, what they have signed up for..

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

.".... My wife checked to see why there was no Hartford payment showing on our bank statement and, voila, we were uninsured because the date on our credit card had changed. No notice of any kind; email, phone, snail mail period....".

I'm confused. How does a date on a credit card get changed? If there is no payment showing on a 'bank statement', what does that have to do with a credit card? 

Sounds like they might have been using a debit card instead of a regular credit card.

If that is the case, Hartford would have not notified them because they had access to their bank account and would of / should of known that the auto pay amount to Hartford was not showing up.

I am just guessing too because the OP's post is very confusing in how they had this type of payment set up.  However, it just goes to show, "automatic pilot" doesn't work without some periodic monitoring to make sure that the correct course is being maintained.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@biglakebubba62

Thank you for bringing your concern with The Hartford to the attention of AARP.  We would like to have an opportunity to review this matter further, will you please email us at member@aarp.org or call 1-866-687-2277 so we can get some additional information?  We look forward to hearing from you.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

I disagree with this being the policyholders fault.

I have had this happen with other accounts I have set to "auto-pay" with a card that expired.

Each time I was immediately notified by the billing company that my charge card would not process and I must provide alternate payment method (or updated card info), which I did and had no fuss, no loss of policy or subscription, etc.

I feel this was definitely a failure on the part of The Hartford if they in fact made no attempt to notify the policyholder of the problem.  If Hartford is unable to monitor these payemnts and notify policyholders, I really question why they should have the auto payment program (or why I should use it.)

I think I may go back to annual payments after receiving a paper bill in the mail. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bill!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9
"....I think he means when a new card arrives, it has a new expiration date and they (Hartford) couldn't get paid with the "wrong date" and the right credit card number....".

If that's true, then that's a failure of an individual not handling their finances, not a Hartford failure (imho).  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

.".... My wife checked to see why there was no Hartford payment showing on our bank statement and, voila, we were uninsured because the date on our credit card had changed. No notice of any kind; email, phone, snail mail period....".

I'm confused. How does a date on a credit card get changed? If there is no payment showing on a 'bank statement', what does that have to do with a credit card? 

I think he means when a new card arrives, it has a new expiration date and they (Hartford) couldn't get paid with the "wrong date" and the right credit card number.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hartford abandoned us and did not say a word by email or phone or snail mail

Message 9 of 9

We had Hartford Insurance for all our needs for many years. 3 months ago, our Auto policy was canceled to our surprise. Because we were not informed, the auto pay issue did not present itself until we had been uninsured for the 3 months, meanwhile driving our vehicle thousands of miles. My wife checked to see why there was no Hartford payment showing on our bank statement and, voila, we were uninsured because the date on our credit card had changed. No notice of any kind; email, phone, snail mail period. 

Was this due to my becoming 62 and/or because I had filed a recent claim? You decide. I don't know. Read the other posts, see for yourself, be very careful who you choose for insurance. 

Are you asking yourself, who paid the three months since our credit card was denied, again, due to only a date change? We had to pay the bill or be subjected to collections. Being hit with such an unexpected large bill is hard on a senior. Remember, again, no call, no email, no letter, just dumped without notice. Be careful, be very careful. Bill Zeddies, New GEICO member.

Kudos
Views
Replies