Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Happy Veterans Day to all veterans

Periodic Contributor

Happy Veterans Day to all veterans

Happy Veterans Day to my son Barry.    Also, to all veterans.

Super Contributor

Happy Veterans Day, Barry.  
Happy Veterans Day to all our Veterans.

I was just telling a friend, who has two Purple Hearts from Vietnam, that I have trouble with this day (and Memorial Day) because of the way they seem to be largely ignored by the general public.  If feels, in a way, like an insult rather than the show of appreciation such days are meant to be.  

Years ago, when I was homeschooling my son, I tried to teach him a little about these days and what they meant.  We put little flags on the graves (we have some very old cemetaries here) of soldiers on Veterans Day and I tought him the Flanders Fields Poem about Memorial Day.  I can't remember now if we put poppies on the graves on those days, but I think we did.  

Our Veterans don't get the respect they deserve the other 363 days of the year and barely so on the "special days."  More widespread food, housing, medical and mental health care, a little dignitiy, would serve them better, I think.

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Zappos until recently give all VETS a 10% discount off of everything.They took the Veteran's discount back, but still gave other groups the very same 10% discount. Please join me and boycott ZAPPOS! I refuse to buy, and my wife also refuses to buy anything ever again from them! I have emailed them a dozen times for a reasonable explanation, but they never reply.   

Please consider this when there are many other venues that sell the same products at the very same prices. Peace to all VETS!!

A fellow Vietnam VET

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP