From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: HAPPINESS IS WHERE YOU MAKE IT

Message 1 of 2

Hi Barlester!

So true to the moment that is. On the overall, I agree. What you're saying is that life is lived better when you're around people whom, on the overall, have positive predispositions; that giving of yourself in a positive, wholesome, and ethical way is really a great thing to do.

But then, I sort of disagree with a predisposition for allowing your giving towards others to be rediverted to those whom appreciate it seeing that God has a different agenda. He continues to give His love to us, in spite of ourselves. He even loves the worst sort of social deviants unimaginable ... ... and, He continues to give great gifts to them, as well. However, through it all, of all His giving, He leaves it completely up to us as far as appreciating them or tossing them aside. 

In such case, the less appreciative get less because they appreciate less. When they appreciate less, they give less. This is a reason they get less in return.

God is 24/7 infallibly giving, irrespective of our appreciativeness or otherwise. So, I'm really inclined to be on God's side about this inasmuch as giving wholesome innately relevant gifts are concerned since a person in need of food has no need for a necktie.

In addition, as far as the very last paragragh, please, allow me to just say that although you may've meant it in a general way, some can use that as an explanation for separating ourselves from the people we have natural or marital commitments to:

If you find someone who is determined to ignore the pearls and gripe about the oysters, leave them, ignore them and find someone else."

To me, that has connotations which places happiness above  familial commitment and above marital vows. There's something about commitment: when you're really committed to making something work, you're going to. I think it's more about "contentment" rather than "happiness" since it's a flexible predisposition leaving much room for"tolerance, growth, moments of happiness," etc..

After all, the reality of the situation is that whereas "happiness" is an inconstant (sometimes we're happy, sometimes we're not), "commitment" is a constant. Inevitably, what makes us happier and more content than anything else is fulfilling our commitments and doing what works to make them grow and to become even more meaningful.

R.B. Roberts
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

HAPPINESS IS WHERE YOU MAKE IT

Message 2 of 2

A kid depends on others for his happiness, which means we need to prepare some for him or her to have. An adult usually looks for happiness, which usually does not work. I have heard of the saying “Happiness is where you find it,” but there are some people who if they won over a hundred million dollars in a lottery would make themselves unhappy because they had to pay taxes.

Hey, let’s make happiness! Look for a smile, then pass it on. Look for someone to give something to, (there is a thing up here where someone pays the bill at a restaurant for a total, random stranger).  Give a waitress a HUGE tip. Give someone a silly gift on a particular day; for instance, a horse-shoe on Friday the 13th. Email or write a letter to a friend, making it as funny, silly or etc. as you can.

Tell someone you love them, and explain why and tell them of something good they have done for you. Email or write a letter to a loved one, reminiscing of funny or sweet times. Make a few telephone calls to relatives or old friends who are far away.

You will find yourself happy while making them happy. If you find someone who is determined to ignore the pearls and gripe about the oysters, leave them, ignore them and find someone else. Happiness is where you make it!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors