Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Greetings from Oregon.

Message 1 of 5

@CindyChris57 wrote:

Hi everyone. My name is Cindy. My husband and I live in Lebanon, Oregon. I wanted to introduce myself and just say hello. I'm hoping that through this website I will be able to find a few online friends to talk with. My husband and I both suffer from chronic pain and mobility issues. We live on Soc. Sec. and rarely make ends meet so we don't get out of the house often. Until recently, we had wonderful neighbors/friends surrounding us, but for several reasons they've all moved away. Now I feel kind of isolated. It was nice talking to and hanging out with people that didn't require driving or too much physical exertion. The houses around us are still empty with one exception and I haven't met the new neighbors yet, it's only been a couple days since they moved in. I miss knowing that there were people close by who cared about us and kept an eye on us. Don't get me wrong, I am not sitting around sulking, I love to read and am passionate about photography and my husband and I hang out together very well, but sometimes it feels like we're all alone. All our children live in other states so no family here. Okay, my pity party is over! Have a wonderful day!

Hi Cindy

It must be difficult having all of your family in other states.  I have never experienced that.  Have you ever thought about making a change at a later point when health might require some family assistance?   I always wonder what kinds of plans people make. 

Otherwise I am sure you will find many people to talk to here : )  Welcome.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@CindyChris57 wrote:

Hi Jane! Yes, Lebanon was in the totality area for the eclipse. It was amazing and awesome and unforgettable! This is thesecond time I've witnessed a total eclipse, the first was in Montana in '79 I think. I will never forget the experience. I've looked into volunteer opportunities with the new VA center here in town and with the Senior Center but so far I haven't applied to be a volunteer. I'm somewhat hesitant to commit to anything when I never know from one day to the next how I will be feeling physically or how my husband will be doing physically. I worry about leaving him alone on some days. Are you close to Malheur Wildlife Refuge? That's definitely on my list of places to see in Oregon. We are actually from Montana and have lived here almost 7 years. I've heard so much about the birdwatching in Malheur and the photo opportunities! 

Oh Montana is beautiful. Yes we are one county to the east of Malheur. Gorgeous. We are in Lake County, and Burns is in Harney, and then there's Malheur County to the east of that, and then you're in Idaho!  In Lake County we have Fort Rock, some caves, so ancient drawings on rock, some enormous alkali lakes and escarpments, and hot springs!  

Do you have a life alert thingie for your husband? that might help him feel safer when  you're out of the house. Those places might have flexible volunteer hours... might help to feel less isolated. Up to you of course.

I'll be off line a couple of days but very glad to make your acquaintance! 

Jane

In Paisley Oregon

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Hi Jane! Yes, Lebanon was in the totality area for the eclipse. It was amazing and awesome and unforgettable! This is thesecond time I've witnessed a total eclipse, the first was in Montana in '79 I think. I will never forget the experience. I've looked into volunteer opportunities with the new VA center here in town and with the Senior Center but so far I haven't applied to be a volunteer. I'm somewhat hesitant to commit to anything when I never know from one day to the next how I will be feeling physically or how my husband will be doing physically. I worry about leaving him alone on some days. Are you close to Malheur Wildlife Refuge? That's definitely on my list of places to see in Oregon. We are actually from Montana and have lived here almost 7 years. I've heard so much about the birdwatching in Malheur and the photo opportunities! 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@CindyChris57 wrote:

Hi everyone. My name is Cindy. My husband and I live in Lebanon, Oregon. I wanted to introduce myself and just say hello. I'm hoping that through this website I will be able to find a few online friends to talk with. My husband and I both suffer from chronic pain and mobility issues. We live on Soc. Sec. and rarely make ends meet so we don't get out of the house often. Until recently, we had wonderful neighbors/friends surrounding us, but for several reasons they've all moved away. Now I feel kind of isolated. It was nice talking to and hanging out with people that didn't require driving or too much physical exertion. The houses around us are still empty with one exception and I haven't met the new neighbors yet, it's only been a couple days since they moved in. I miss knowing that there were people close by who cared about us and kept an eye on us. Don't get me wrong, I am not sitting around sulking, I love to read and am passionate about photography and my husband and I hang out together very well, but sometimes it feels like we're all alone. All our children live in other states so no family here. Okay, my pity party is over! Have a wonderful day!

Hi Cindy!  I'm here in Oregon, too. I live in a tiny town in Lake County in the south east corner of the state, at the edge of the Great Oregon Basin. My partner is retired, and has MS, but is still wonderfully active, thank goodness, and i work 3 days/week. I do hope your family will visit for the upcoming holidays. They need to look in on their parents and catch you up with their lives!

Lebanon was in the totality zone for the eclipse, right? we were visiting salem with my partner's niece. it was mind blowing! i'd never experienced an eclipse before. did you see it?

Maybe with the loss of your neighbors, you could look into some social activities around town. I just moved out here a year ago from a big city back east, and i immediately joined a writer's group that meets twice a month, and a volunteer group. right away i knew most of the movers and shakers in town. of course, Paisley has only 250 souls, when they're all home. Ha!

Anyway, nice to meet you! Write more!

Jane

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Greetings from Oregon.

Message 5 of 5

Kudos
Views
Replies