It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Finally eligible for AARP!

Message 1 of 7

SauyKicker here again! I just want everyone to know that while "retired" I still have a hectic/full schedule, even tho' I have "empty time" on my hands. (I recognize this is a conundrum!)

So I am not always on the computer, and won't always check the boards every day.

I am sure that could go without saying. We all have similar demands on our time.

But I did want to publicly say that just because I am not on the boards communicating, does not mean I have forgotten or discounted things that have been said on the board.

I am pretty seriously trying to be "consciously companionate" in my daily life! My Mother's death taught me how important and how easing that can be.

SaucyKicker

(perhaps this is why I consciously choose not to engage in politics? Smiley LOL)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@shemekas477768 wrote:

Hi

I am 41 is that odd wanting to become a member and also if I do will receive the same benefits. I just became a memeber also. My gma is 83 and ahe is a member and I just love the outing she attend so I jumped right in. 

Anyone can join!   A friend of mine who worked for AARP told me that about10 years ago.   I was surprised.   Age doesn't matter.    Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Hi

I am 41 is that odd wanting to become a member and also if I do will receive the same benefits. I just became a memeber also. My gma is 83 and ahe is a member and I just love the outing she attend so I jumped right in. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@saucykicker wrote:

@ManicProgressive, Thanks! Curious: do people use this community like a 52+-only Facebook community? Or are there specific posts welcomed/unwelcomed? I have scrolled through a few boards, trying to get familiar with what people are posting. I won't be engaging in political talk, tho; totally liberal arts/creative type on my end!Smiley Wink

Hi, @saucykicker  I post mostly in politics, but enjoy the movies, exercise, health forums, too.  I don't think there are any truly unwelcomed posts.  There are posting rules, but I don't think I've crossed any lines yet, so I'm not sure what they are other than not cursing.  So post away, anywhere and everywhere.

I'm in Maryland, FWIW, right outside DC.   So I've been to different parts of the Shenandoah Valley a bunch of times.  My step son lived there for awhile.   I need to go see more of it.  Maybe some whitewater rafting is in order this sumer.  If I get up the nerve.  lol.    Smiley Happy  

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@ManicProgressive, Thanks! Curious: do people use this community like a 52+-only Facebook community? Or are there specific posts welcomed/unwelcomed? I have scrolled through a few boards, trying to get familiar with what people are posting. I won't be engaging in political talk, tho; totally liberal arts/creative type on my end!Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Hi Saucy. Same boat here but I joined last December. The Shenandoah valley is gorgeous. Lucky you. Welcome aboard.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Finally eligible for AARP!

Message 7 of 7

Hello, SaucyKicker here! I am a new AARP member from Virginia, in the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley area. In my physical prime I was an avid hiker, camper and skier. I also loved to dance East Coast Swing, Lindy Hop (my favorite dance move: Saucy Kicks; hence SaucyKicker), some West Coast Swing and Salsa, plus a little ballroom and club room dancing. Now, I am fortunate to make it all the way through a 3-minute slow song! (Feet, back, neck, oh my!) My other hobbies include music, travel and new-to-me experiences. I held out on marriage for a LONG time, and only recently got a 9.7 pound Shih-poo fur baby. My husband is alive and well, a wee bit younger, and actively working the corporate ladder. I've worked in marketing, writing, PR, SEO and website development, but basically "medically retired" in 2008. What few of my family elders remained began passing 10 years ago, leaving me at the top of the "still-living branch" on the Family Tree at the ripe old age of 41. (What a rude unveiling that was!) Recovering from all that took about 11 years. That brings us up-to-date! Currently, I remain (and/or work at remaining) optimistic about exploring my second set of 50 years. Getting older isn't for the weak of mind or the low in spirit! But, it's good to see so much activity on the AARP Forums. Feel free to connect with me; I have some time on my hands!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies