Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Caring for Disabled Adult Daughter

Message 1 of 3

Hi, I too am a parent of an adult child with a disability. Our son has an intellectual disability (Down syndrome). Have you checked with Georgia's Department of Developmental Disabilities and long-term care for programs and supports?

From the LTC site:

Types of Long-Term Care

You should also contact a lawyer who is familiar with special needs trusts and wills. I don't know if you would qualify for direct support from The Arc, but they do have good information about special needs trusts (see: The Arc | Special Needs Trusts and Georgia has an office). I would suggest you contact them for referrals if they are not able to assist. The critical thing to note is how your daughter's inheritance can potentially affect her SSDI benefits.

Is she able to do volunteer work? She may find friends, work associates in various organizations, church, school, thrift stores and the like. The challenge may be to locate a peer who is able to offer her support if needed. 

You may have to be that pioneer who begins one. I realize it takes energy and effort...often lots of both. I've had to live that life with my son- often being the one to start a new program for his benefit, and ultimately others too. You may want to post your question on the Facebook Group for Georgia

Wish you and your daughter well!

Donna Martinez, EdD
Owner: Sea Ranch Abalone Bay
The Sea Ranch, CA
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Caring for Disabled Adult Daughter

Message 2 of 3

Hi Kelly. My name is Mike. I'm 41 and take care of my disabled mom. She treats me horribly. I don't know about GA, but there should be no problems getting your daughter care once she needs it. If she's on SSI, and it's the same as in MA, she can get all kinds of help for free or very little cost. I strongly advise preparing ahead of time. Sometimes there are waiting lists for places like that. The wait can be months or years. They'd give her a place to live like an apartment and only take a relatively small amount of her check and provide in-house care. I hope that's a little helpful. I wish your family well and God bless.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Caring for Disabled Adult Daughter

Message 3 of 3

Hi, my name is Kelly and I am from Georgia.  I have a 23 y/o daughter who has recently been diagnosed with Cerebellar Atrophy, a progressive neurological disorder that has caused her increased mobility issues, double vision, slurred speech and difficulty swollowing.  She is now on SSDI and Medicare. We belong to the National Ataxia Foundation, which gives us lots of information about the disease itself.  My concern is what do we do as we get older and it becomes difficult for us to care for her as her disease progresses.  We don't know how it will progress or the prognosis.  She is not at the stage yet of needing a caregiver, but she is very lonely as many of her friends are no longer "available".  Are there programs that we can setup for her to make sure she is cared for financially?  What if we become sick and are unable to care for her and ourselves?  I hope to keep her home with us indefinitely but the future is so unclear with this disease.  Any advice or knowledge of programs for disabled young adults would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Replies