Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Periodic Contributor

Calling all NEWBIES. ... Let's introduce our selves! Use this thread.

Hi, I'm Mary. I'm new to these threads but am excited by the opportunities to learn and connect.  I love AARP.  I'm very newly retired, live in the midwest, and there are SO MANY opportunities.

If you want to make connections with me and other Newbies, reply to this thread.  I'm seeing many starting individual threads/topics which will make it difficult to connect, just due to shear volume.

Hope to hear from you

Mary
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

hi my name is damina Guzman and I'm from Orlando florida

Regular Contributor

I'm Julie from Glendale, California

JMD
Trusted Contributor

Welcome, Kelly. What part of Texas? I'm from East Texas.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello everybody!  I recently joined the community, a newbie here.

Regular Contributor

Me too!! Julie from Glendale, CA

JMD
Trusted Contributor

Dave. Currently in Austin. Can't wait to leave. Adventurer of sorts, road trip junkie, professional slacker, a wu wei kinda guy. I'll be "retiring" early (62 & 2 months) the end of 2018, and haven't the foggiest as to what I'll do next. Don't care. I don't do politics and I don't do religion. I *do* collect old coffee pots, vintage razors, and coins (all of which have gone to my three grandsons). And, no, I'm not married. I'm a veteran, ex-cop, former ditch-digger & welder, and used to do a bit of gunsmithing...jack of all trades, master of none. I've done a lot & seen a lot. Got lots more to see & do before my time on this rock is up.

On the Llano Estacado, border of Texas-New MexicoOn the Llano Estacado, border of Texas-New Mexico

Regular Contributor

I'm Julie from Glendale, CA new to AARP love to travel

JMD
Trusted Contributor

Have leathers will travel! Nice bike!

0 Kudos

My name is Paula. Am in Tennessee. Just joined tonight. 

Paula
Regular Contributor

Hi I'm Julie new to AARP from Glendale, CA

JMD
Trusted Contributor

Hi Paula - welcome! I live next door in Arkansas and have passed through many times on the way to NC! This site is a little tricky, enjoy the games and points-but I can pretty much tell you that if you bid on something an AARP employee will beat you to it! So, see when it ends and bid on it 3 seconds before it expires! Still may not work! As you will find on the blog, none of us ever wins. Susan 

Contributor

Hi, I'm Harsha. I live in Southern Maryland . Recently retired after 30 years of service with te Fedaral Government and 5 years with private industry. Joined AARP last year. Looking forward to exploring the various opp. that AARP has to offer.   

Regular Contributor

I'm Julie new to AARP and a retired government employee from Glendale, CA

JMD
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist

Welcome Julie!

I am Bonnie, new to this forum. I am a writer, owned by four cats, and love cozy mysteries.

Trusted Contributor

I'm now a caregiver to my husband, aged 64, who has multiple system atrophy, type C (cerebellar). He can barely move using a walker and will soon be going to a wheelchair or scooter. His speech is affected somewhat, too, as is his fine motor skills somewhat. Thankfully, he is not in pain and it does not affect his mind. He will slowly decline over the next few years. There is no treatment for this disease. I'm new to all this, so I'm hoping I can get some tips here.

Contributor

Hi, I'm Teresa. I am my husbands caregiver. He is a paraplegic due to a spinal cord injury. It is the most challenging job that I have ever had. I am disabled due to degenerated disc disease. I'm looking to see how other spouses cope. 

Teresa
Trusted Contributor

Valiums! 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@TL195555   Hi Theresa.  You certainly do have a tough job to do.  I hope you have a good support system around you for both morale and physical support. You may want to check with your local county and maybe the senior center near where you are. Around here, we have a program a couple times a month so that care givers can bring their spouse or partner to the center for a few hours a couple times a month, and have them cared for while the other has a little free time. It isn't much, but sometimes, just a little help can be a lifesaver. You may also want to check on-line for some care-givers support groups. Just having a safe place to express yourself or get advice, can do a lot.  Kudos to you. I know you are doing the best you can.

Recognized Social Butterfly

WELCOME to AArp . I am Nancy Leahy.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hello from Arkansas, really a Cali girl! The point system is way off on these quizzes- states I have earned all I can today and I didn't even get close to 5,000! It also says members earn double- I am a member and don't. Also, they are all (98%) old and no new ones. Anyway, nice to meet all you Baby Boomers!

I am Nancy Leahy, I live in Eatontown , NJ. I have a daughter who attends Rutgers University

Does anyone know how to earn rewards for goods points, after all the quizzes are completed? I'm so LOST

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

Does anyone know how to earn rewards for goods points, after all the quizzes are completed? I'm so LOST

@n566192l Yes. I have posted extensively about this issue. Search for r4g earn points to find those posts. Best wishes!

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Me also, they are hard to find and almost always the same ones - I never get the extra points for being an AARP Member. A little thing comes up asking if I want to join or renew! That's so weird because my membership doesn't expire until 2/2019. So, that's pretty much a scam in my book!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi!  

I am not new to AARP, but I am new to the forum community.  Still trying to learn to navigate and bookmark those forums that I am interested in.  I recently moved to the Salt Lake City area and would love to connect with others nearby.  Not really sure how to do that.  I am retired currently...not sure that I will remain that way.  🙂  Way too much time on my hands. Any assistance on navigating this Community forum would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Regular Contributor

Hi just joined today, I'm Julie from Glendale, CA

JMD

Good morning all!!  I hail from a small town in Delaware, have been married to my husband for 40 years next month and currently live in San Diego.  We have two girls, one in Phoenix and one in France who is getting married next month there!!  Hope you all have a blessed day!!

Trusted Contributor

I lived in San Diego 23 years and miss it so much - so much to do and see! Lots of free activities, Coronado is great either side - outdoor music in summer, shops and great restaurants. I highly recommend the hotel for the best Sunday brunch. Balboa park, especially during holidays. Gaitanos Pizza (spelled wrong)-there's 3 that I know of one on India St, one in Casa de Oro no Lakeside. Have fun!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello everybody. Stopping in to check things out. I haven't retired yet, still working my butt off.  I am looking forward to that day though, so that all I have to do is ride my Harley!!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP