Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Become a 50plus Walking Woman

Message 1 of 16

Who is still walking? Are you seeing results?

We're about ready to switch to walking just after dawn to avoid afternoon heat and thunderstorms. Anybody else have to make schedule changes to accommodate Ma Nature's rowdiness?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

@nyadrn wrote:

@WebWiseWoman wrote:
Great post! Thank you so much!

I'm down with this; googling trackers now. I need to do this but since relocation only about 5 months can do this in Vegas...

Let's get this on!

"Walk! Your Life Depends on It!" Dami Roelse

I have had my fit bit a couple of years now and love it.  

@nyadrn @WebWiseWoman  I've been using my Nano to track my walks. Ye olde two birds theory at play: it also plays either music or a podcast, which I find helpful in pacing.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

@WebWiseWoman wrote:
Great post! Thank you so much!

I'm down with this; googling trackers now. I need to do this but since relocation only about 5 months can do this in Vegas...

Let's get this on!

"Walk! Your Life Depends on It!" Dami Roelse

I have had my fit bit a couple of years now and love it.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

Smiley HappyHello i think that is a  nice option oderate walking is done according to weather, safety etc.!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

Walking is great... you get to see your neighborhood as well as the residence.  Also, it's not hard on your joints.  You don't have to walk a 5k, at least not at first but you can set goals for yourself.  I love to walk.  I get up from my desk and walk around the office and into the warehouse just so I don't sit all day.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

@doglover52 wrote:

I take an early morning walk around 6:30,mid morning walk  is anywhere between 4-8 blocks,last walk in the afternoon usually around the block. I keep telling people 'walking is the best exercise for you' Sue

Hi @doglover52 Agreed: walking is good! The movement is good. And if you swing your arms and walk so that you are taxing your lungs (I know, not a safe behavior on icy streets) you are getting truly excellent exercise.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

Hi Dami,thanks for your inspiring post.

I'm a life long walker considering I never felt comfortable behind the wheel.

The days when I had to be at work,I would walk the 8 blocks to/from the hosptial{was a pharmacy tech} in all kinds of weather,winter was always a big challenge{live in Buffalo,NY}. The only times I didn't go, if the winds were over 35mph,since I have a partial right knee

I've been retired almost 6 yrs now,I take 3 walks/day weather permitting.I take an early morning walk around 6:30,mid morning walk  is anywhere between 4-8 blocks,last walk in the afternoon usually around the block. I keep telling people 'walking is the best exercise for you' Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

I am in New Stanton, Pa and would like to find people in my area to walk with.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

@dr45283021 wrote:

I've just started my spring training for a 2 week hike on the Pacific Crest trail in April. 

@dr45283021 LOVE it! Have a grand time! We used to live in the Sierra (near Truckee), and trained on the PCT for our former sport of mountaineering.

Recently DH and I transformed ourselves into recumbent cyclists and race at Senior Games. Currently I'm walking 4.75 miles a day over our hilly terrain (Rocky Mountains) at over 4.4 MPH to help keep lung capacity in order. We've ridden over 4,000 miles since we got our recumbent trikes 14 months ago.

Glad to see so much enthusiasm for fitness! Rock on!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16
Yes, you can! Find WalkingWomen50plus on Facebook and join the community.
Dami Roelse
Walk! Your Life Depends on It!
http://www.transformation-travel.com
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season