Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Become a 50plus Walking Woman

Message 11 of 16
Great post! Thank you so much!

I'm down with this; googling trackers now. I need to do this but since relocation only about 5 months can do this in Vegas...

Let's get this on!

"Walk! Your Life Depends on It!" Dami Roelse

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

Well, you're walking. You don't have to walk in the outdoors to get benefits. If you wear a tracking device, you might be surprised to find how many steps you get in just in your daily to and fro! I will post something about getting miles in easily soon!

Dami Roelse
Walk! Your Life Depends on It!
http://www.transformation-travel.com
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

I walk at a local recreation center on their indoor track 3x's a week and love it. I am not really an outdoor person. I would walk more often but I also work full time.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

Hi Epster,

I'm glad you liked my post. I'm planning on posting fairly frequently, but I have 2 other blogs to attend to as well. (check my website: transformation-travel.com) As I always say, I don't arrange my life around my writing, my writing has to fit around all the other things I do with my life. I've just started my spring training for a 2 week hike on the Pacific Crest trail in April. 

Dami

Dami Roelse
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Hi Dami,

Gosh it is lovely and refreshing to see someone else offer up the truth about physical/mental activity and aging here. Keep it up.

I hope you'll be posting frequently on the 'Healthy Lifestyle' forum. 

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Become a 50plus Walking Woman

Message 16 of 16

P1050785.jpg

It’s February, a time of reduced social obligations, a time of emptiness in nature, a time in which the growth forces gather to show themselves. The tips of narcissus are already peeking through the wet snow melt around my home. This is a good time to strengthen your resolve to walk more, or to start walking regularly. This is a good time to start dreaming about beautiful summer hikes.
A recent article in the New York Times introduces the idea of “super-ager”. Super-agers are people who have all their faculties intact at a ripe, old age. Research shows that super-agers have thicker gray matter than many of their peers and are able to keep their cognitive and physical functions to a much higher age.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/opinion/sunday/how-to-become-a-superager.html?_r=0
If you want to age with your physical and mental capacities intact, strengthen your resolve to walk more, take on a challenge of walking a distance you haven’t been able to do, go on a hike you’ve felt to be out of your reach up till now. According to the NYT article you become a super-ager by “working hard at something”, be it physical or mental. That means engage in something that, as you’re doing it, pushes you both physically and mentally. No pain, no gain is the key to becoming a super-ager. Exert yourself and you’ll be building a more youthful brain.

The limits we put on ourselves for physical exertion are often mental. We THINK we can’t do it. I was reminded of this when I needed to help my 6yr old granddaughter overcome her resistance to slogging through the snow for 5 minutes from the ski-lift to our vacation home. “Carry me! I’m too tired (and she was tired after a long day in ski-school), it’s too far.” was her plaintive cry. She couldn’t understand 5 minutes at that moment. Remembering my tough and not-always-so-kind father who pushed me physically as I grew up, I told her, “Let’s see how many steps a minute is”. Her curiosity at once got the upper hand, and she started walking and counting. After we established that it took 45 steps per minute, I challenged her to see if she could count 100 steps. Showing off her counting ability we made it home in no time. Every day after, she counted her way home; we even started counting in different languages! When you run into your resistance remember my 6 yr old granddaughter. Turn your resistance into an exciting challenge and you’ll be on your way to becoming a walker and super-ager in 2017.

Dami Roelse
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

When responding to other users’ posts for penpals, dating, or for other communication, please do not post your personal information (email, address, phone number) in the forum.