Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Age discrimination in sport.

Hello All,

I am looking for any information or even thoughts that anyone may have on the subject of age discrimination in sport. I would love some scholarly journal articles, but I have not found a single one. Anecdotal info is also welcome.

The train of thought is this - with the expanded parameters of inclusion that many people are beginning to enjoy, (gender identification being the first thing that comes to mind), is it conceivable to one day have a 60-year-old playing Little League baseball? I know this is way out there at the moment but has anyone thought about this? Would love to hear about it.  

Thank you all in advance!

David

[personal information removed from public view, please use the Private Messaging function]

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just found this from AARP that is related to the topic. 

Should People Be Allowed to Legally Change Their Age?

This 69-year-old, who feels 49, certainly thinks so

by Ann Brenoff, AARP, February 13, 2019

https://www.aarp.org/disrupt-aging/stories/info-2019/legally-change-age.html

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DavidW779186 

Generally this is not the type of topic we get on the Front Porch! It opens the door to allowing people who have had a sex change to compete as members of a different sex in a league competition or as a pro player. 

I'm sure you would have had an issue with me playing in a 12 and under boys basketball league when I was 6'5" and 50 years old.

I do not feel that you will get many comments from this group who are more concerned about Congress cutting their Social Security.

Golf is a good example of people completing in their age groups.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you for that Dave. Very informative actually. This is not a "me" thing by the way - I am a researcher and I ask questions to allow people to respond with exactly what is on their mind. Golf is a great example of age based play. Thank you again! David

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP