Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: ALEC and AARP

Message 1 of 20

To all who have participated in this discussion thread:

Being non-partisan means interacting with organizations on all sides of key issues – not just those whose views are identical to your own.  AARP is committed to serving a diverse membership and fulfilling our responsibility to engage with groups and individuals with different perspectives on issues important to the 50+ and their families.

In 2016, AARP paid a fee to ALEC, which gave us an opportunity to engage with state legislators and advance our members’ priorities from a position of strength at ALEC’s annual meeting. 

AARP’s engagement with ALEC is NOT an endorsement of the organization’s policies either past or present. As is the case with other groups AARP engages with, there are many issues and areas where we strongly disagree with ALEC’s position or approach.

For example, AARP does NOT support ALEC’s model legislation on TABOR (Taxpayer Bill of Rights); a Constitutional Amendment for a Balanced Federal Budget, which is a direct attack on Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid; the repeal of the Affordable Care Act; nor the other model legislation posted on its website. AARP has advocated in opposition of these proposals in the states and in Congress and will continue to do so.

AARP monitors and values member input and we have taken note of all your comments. 

Our goal is that all of our activities will come together to help shape and enrich the experience of aging for our members and for America.

AARP Online Community Team

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

It is hard to describe how outraged I am that AARP was a sponsor of the ALEC Conference in Indianapolis.  The AARP line that they were just engaged in discussions is nothing but smoke.  I am going to drop my membership unless AARP disavows it's sponsorship of ALEC.  ALEC is one of the premier Koch brothers organizations that is actively undermining programs and services of the countries retirees. Shame, shame on AARP.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

This article gives more information.  I don't agree with what they did and think it is the wrong way to lobby Congress. http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-aarp-alec-20160801-snap-story.html.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Since this is just a public discussion board, I suggest that any of you that have voiced concern on this matter contact the powers that be and I'll make it easy by providing the links so you can take your pick of where to voice your concern:

AARP Public Policy - Share Your Thoughts - Submit Feedback

AARP Contact Us - Address, Phone numbers, list of Board of Directors, Executive Team

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

Will an official from AARP please respond?  HAS AARP either given ALEC funds or received funds from ALEC in the past five years?

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

I'm sad to read these posts as I just renew my AARP dated back from 2010. I like the discounts and offers of service and additional benefits that AARP offers. Looking for a positive outcome!! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

After more than 20 years, I will have to end my association with AARP if they continue their association with ALEC. My career was in education and I have watched ALEC and the Koch brothers nearly destroy public education and take control of most state governments by the money they contribute to state and national candidates. They only support themselves to the ruination of our country b

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

I have been a member of AARP for 15 years. I joined this online community just so I can protest what I just learned about AARP and ALEC. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20
I, too, will be ending my association with AARP if their support of ALEC is not terminated ASAP! This is totally against all that AARP stands for and my membership dues will not support the destructive policies of ALEC.
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

I'm from Wisconsin.  A bonified cheesehead.  In 2011 Governor Scott Walker set about dismantling the liberal foundations upon which Wisconsin had firmly rested for over a hundred years.  Bought and paid for by the Koch Brothers, Scooter wanted to live in the Big White House in Washington DC.  In order to do that he needed to show his masters the he had the ability to dismantle a liberal stronghold and turn it into rubble.  Their goal, some say, was to turn Wisconsin into a wasteland of conservatism and greed.  Prove that you can turn the bluest of the blue into a deep cherry red they said, and we'll buy the White House for you, too.

Thus began Scooter's attack on Wisconsin.  He started in a place that had anyone been paying attention should have been patently obvious.  Unions.  When he was a superintendent in Milwaukee County he busted unions until garbage piled up in drifts as high as the eves on the buildings.  He bullied garbage workers into submission and broke their union and the Kochs were well pleased.  

And so it was when he moved into the capitol building in Madison he began to write legislation. specifically 2011 Wisconsin Act 10, also known as The Wisconsin Budget Repair Bill.  But not without help.  And that, dear reader, came from ALEC. With the help of his cronies (cronyism being a hallmark of the GOP) he demonized the people that made Wisconsin run - teachers, cops, firefighters, public service workers.   Thousands of Wisconsinites gathered in the streets around the capitol building in protest while Scooter hunkered inside.  People filled the halls of the capitol building - a public edifice with no apparent (that's the key word here) restrictions on use.  People slept in the halls, sang songs, chanted slogans and waited.  Outside in the cold Firefighters from around the state drove up in pumper and ladder trucks.  Off duty cops came in full uniform in their personal vehicles and stood and waited.  Teachers, EMTs, UW custodians, professors, and students held placards, linked arms and sang, and waited.  The protests began in February with crowds upward of 100,000 at times.  They tapered off and ended in June when the law was upheld by the Wisconsin Supreme Court - which was loaded with Walker's cronies.

On March 9, 2015 Scooter and his bought-and-paid-for legislators pushed through Right to Work, written by ALEC, effectively eviscerating any chance Wisconsin workers had for effective minimum wage reform or family leave reform.

So - here's the point.  I've been with AARP for a very long time.  When I found out you were dancing with the devil I was not only stunned and shocked, but absolutely livid.

I realize you would be able to go on just fine without me but I am hoping more AARP members come to realize how you have sold them out.  Using their membership fees to play house with a conservative organization dedicated to finding ways to craft legislation with the sole goal of obliterating the rights of families and seniors.  

If you don't sever ties with ALEC I'll sever ties with you.  

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mary Kay Thompson
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors