age discrimination in mortgage refinancing

We have been attempting to refinance since 10/20

we have excellent credit and we purchased our home in june 2018

My husband and I are both 75, we keep being asked for the same info to be updated

There was no problem when we purchased 3 years ago. could this be age discrimination?\

refinance would save us $1000 a month.

Donna Swanson

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DonnaS531513 

you asked:  There was no problem when we purchased 3 years ago. could this be age discrimination?

Probably not - It is illegal for a lender to use age as a dis-qualifier for a home loan.

But there could be other things.

You have told us a few things about yourselves - like you have excellent credit, owned house for (3) years, both of you are 75 years old.  There is a whole lot more that is considered.  I'm just gonna hit a few highlights that could be problems areas.

Here are other things that are reviewed for a refinance:

THE HOUSE -

• what is the loan (current mortgage) to the market value of the home - i.e. what is it gonna appraise for -  How much equity do you have in the house now?
  • is it in good repair especially any big maintenance items
  • An appraisal will have to be done - and you pay for it.

The BORROWER(S)

• credit score - the better the score; the better the interest rate
  • current income - has to support the refi payment amount after considering expenses - mortgage can't be more than a certain % of your income.
  • current expenses (all of them) - debt to income ratio

Things change in (3) years so it is the current state of the home and your finances that the lender will be looking at for consideration.

I am gonna ask the moderators to move your post & my reply here from this General Help Board to the Housing board so that your post will be seen in the category where others may want to reply.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Virtual Community Center 

Offering a wide variety of FREE interactive, online events and classes designed for learning, self-improvement, and fun. Learn More

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health