Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What are the Best States for Seniors to Retire?

Message 11 of 22

@WebWiseWoman wrote:

Now, let's get serious?

I'm looking to re-locate; while I love living here (Las Vegas), where my two youngest and their fams are, I'm also really over the population count...

any suggestions small to medium town/city where snow is not normal and retired people can and would be appreciated would be great!

#VegasStrong

If you can stand the heat year round (I can't), maybe somewhere in Florida. Yes, some locations will have way too many people and congestion, but they do have some locations that are peaceful. And they do welcome the older generation. Hugs, Angela

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

@AngelaS579497wrote:  "Hi, glad you did post this subject. Any updates on your decision on relocating? Hugs, Angela"

Still doing a lot of research.... Thanks Angela !

PannB
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

Now, let's get serious?

I'm looking to re-locate; while I love living here (Las Vegas), where my two youngest and their fams are, I'm also really over the population count...

any suggestions small to medium town/city where snow is not normal and retired people can and would be appreciated would be great!

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

@pburdi56 wrote:

Thank you for your input about Ashville NC......I know other people thought the question was to general, but it was just to get people sharing their opinions about what they have experienced..... Thanks again!!   

Hi, glad you did post this subject. Any updates on your decision on relocating? Hugs, Angela

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

@mimi0000 wrote:

I found Asheville NC to work well for me.  Weather is awesome - four seasons, mountain air, outstanding medical, diverse population, first rate restaurants, senior friendly.  The County provides free transportation to and from doctors appointments, shopping etc. A 3 hour drive and you can be at the Ocean.  Flight to major Cities from the uncrowded Airport.

Can you tell I like it here?

Lol, I can see you like it. Thank you for sharing with us. Hugs, Angela

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

Thank you for your input about Ashville NC......I know other people thought the question was to general, but it was just to get people sharing their opinions about what they have experienced..... Thanks again!!   

PannB
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22

I found Asheville NC to work well for me.  Weather is awesome - four seasons, mountain air, outstanding medical, diverse population, first rate restaurants, senior friendly.  The County provides free transportation to and from doctors appointments, shopping etc. A 3 hour drive and you can be at the Ocean.  Flight to major Cities from the uncrowded Airport.

Can you tell I like it here?

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I don't buy into any idea that an entire state is better, or worse, to retire in than another. There are large differences in taxes on retirement, real estate, food, general goods, general cost of living, etc.

As far as health care, can't generalize for a state. You can find info on health care facilities for cities and some general regions.

But what is best for retirement?  Weather, indoor activities, outdoor activities, politics, access to public transportation, cultural activities, interest groups you might want to join, neighborhood programs, crime statistics, demographics, etc. Endless facts about specific areas that you would want to live in. Just picking a state is just too broad. 

If one has family, that may trump all other considerations regardless of the negatives of living in that area. Some people move for inexpensive housing but find there is nothing going on of much interest in their community. Lots of anecdotal stories that I've heard of people moving to places in Arizona, from the midwest, to escape the winter and snow around here. Then, they find that for a good portion of the year, it's too hot to go anyplace unless you're out at 5:00am or after 9:00pm. I know someone who moved back from California because they missed the changing seasons.

You have a lot of research, and thinking, to do.

Excellent points, thanks for giving me something to think about. Me, personally would like to stay in Virginia but over my city/lol. Now to figure out where to relocate this year or next. Either way your comment will help with deciding. Hugs, Angela

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

I don't buy into any idea that an entire state is better, or worse, to retire in than another. There are large differences in taxes on retirement, real estate, food, general goods, general cost of living, etc.

As far as health care, can't generalize for a state. You can find info on health care facilities for cities and some general regions.

But what is best for retirement?  Weather, indoor activities, outdoor activities, politics, access to public transportation, cultural activities, interest groups you might want to join, neighborhood programs, crime statistics, demographics, etc. Endless facts about specific areas that you would want to live in. Just picking a state is just too broad. 

If one has family, that may trump all other considerations regardless of the negatives of living in that area. Some people move for inexpensive housing but find there is nothing going on of much interest in their community. Lots of anecdotal stories that I've heard of people moving to places in Arizona, from the midwest, to escape the winter and snow around here. Then, they find that for a good portion of the year, it's too hot to go anyplace unless you're out at 5:00am or after 9:00pm. I know someone who moved back from California because they missed the changing seasons.

You have a lot of research, and thinking, to do.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22
"Are you relocating or doing this for research?"...….. Answer: It is really a little of both..... I haven't made any decisions about relocating yet..... all depends on what research I find.... Thank you !
PannB
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs