Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What are the Best States for Seniors to Retire?

Message 1 of 22

Three years ago we moved to Delaware from New Jersey to escape high property taxes and congestion. We took our New Jersey house sale equity and built a new home in an existing subdivision were some of our New Jersey friends had moved. We later found out that our decision to move to Delaware was not a good one.

Over 90% of the waterways, streams, ponds and wetlands are polluted with excess nitrares from farms and will not support aquatic life. Each year a horeshoe crab survey of the Delaware Bay is done and voluteers are required to wear hipboots so their skin doesn't make contact the the bay water. Roboboth Beach, one of the most expensive communities in the state, has a sewer pipe one mile off the beach dumping sewage plant treatment water into the ocean right were your swimming. When there is a heavy rain fall in Rehoboth the beaches close because the bacteria levels are too high. Most days the ocean water looks brown. The closer you are to the mouth of the Delaware Bay the darker the water looks.

Many private wells contain excessive levels of nitrates and bacteria yet Delaware has no well testing requirement when an owner sells a home. Unlike New Jersey, were every well owner is required to test and remediate private wells that do not meet the state standard. Well testing requirements were opposed by the real estate community in Delaware.

The state and counties rely on real estate transfer taxes for most of their income so development is out of control. In Sussex County the Planning and Zoning Board can't approve developments fast enough. Thousands of residential units are approved each year with no increases in police, rescue or fire personal. Wastewater disposal is often done by spray irrigation on sandy soil that flows down into the underground water supply.

Route 1, the main throughfare to the Sussex County beaches is a parking lot from Lewes to all beaches south in the summer. Ambulances and fire trucks sit in traffic with sirens blarring while drivers can't move over because there is no were to go. The absence of police along Route 1 makes it a free for all. Posted speed limits mean nothing. Running red lights, passing on the right and ignoring bike riders contributed to multiple deaths this past summer.

Health care isn't what your used to if you come from NJ, NY, Conn or PA. It takes months to see a doctor and the quality of care is not great. According to the Center for Disease Controll Delaware has one of the highest incidences of new cancer cases in the nation.

The state is run by a bunch of self serving politicians who are controlled by corporate interests. Public health takes a backseat to political contributions. The state agency tasked with protecting the environment defends polluters and ignors public heath issues.

If you thinking about moving to Delaware do your homework. Don't rely on the real estate community to help you or the local home builders. They only want to sell you a home. Be smart, ask lots of questions before you commit to putting your life savings into a home that you may not be able to re-sell. I wish we had!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

I'm a Buffalo native living in Mtns. NC and  I have to confess I miss those snow storms.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

I love shoveling snow so I retired to Michigan's upper peninsula.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

We retired to Baja, Mexico about 15 minutes from the San Diego border and LOVE it. The cost of living is amazing. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
I'd love to be able to agree with you about it being "how you mentally feel about it"...… but if a community doesn't do a good/great job of making services available for it's seniors, than it's definitely more than how you feel about it mentally.
PannB
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22
Phil, Hi, I met you some 30 years ago when you and Sammy Davis did things together. You were the guest of Gibson Guitars for dinner before his show. You and someone else I do not remember. For dinner you sat with me and my husband Stuart. You certainly made an impression on my life, THANK YOU PHIL HARRIS. Ilene
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

Boy do I agree with you.  Where does your physical body reside?  I would to be your friend.  I live outside of Chicago.  Each town around me has there own park districts Senior Center.  Some do a good job and some do a great job with there programs.  I know they each are backed by each towns tax dollars, but if some of them would join together Seniors woud have a fantastic place to go.    Ilene, Buffalo 🐃 Grove, Ill. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

The best state to retire to is not a physical state, it is a state of mind.  When I retired, I was the caretaker of my Dad who had Dementia.  Upon his death, I lived in the same home for another 7 years but found a two-story house required more than I could handle.  I checked out the Independent Living Communities in my area and found one that provided a lot of activities to keep me busy, a chance to volunteer, and meet new people that became my friends.  No more mowing the lawn or shoveling snow too!  And I was still close to other friends and relatives that I would see.  So, to sum it all up, it doesn't matter where you live, it is how you mentally feel about it!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

I moved to NC years ago and love it! Not too hot not too cold 2 hours to the beach two hours to the mountains what's not to love!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

@AngelaS579497 

Hello Angela,

Did you find any tiny cottages and where are they located, senior community?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors