Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are the Best States for Seniors to Retire?

Periodic Contributor

What are the Best States for Seniors to Retire?

I know AARP does their own articles on best places to retire.... but what are your thoughts based on your own experiences.

Keep in mind.... cost, weather, transportation and most of all excellent health care for seniors.

Thanks for your inputs.

PannB
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't buy into any idea that an entire state is better, or worse, to retire in than another. There are large differences in taxes on retirement, real estate, food, general goods, general cost of living, etc.

As far as health care, can't generalize for a state. You can find info on health care facilities for cities and some general regions.

But what is best for retirement?  Weather, indoor activities, outdoor activities, politics, access to public transportation, cultural activities, interest groups you might want to join, neighborhood programs, crime statistics, demographics, etc. Endless facts about specific areas that you would want to live in. Just picking a state is just too broad. 

If one has family, that may trump all other considerations regardless of the negatives of living in that area. Some people move for inexpensive housing but find there is nothing going on of much interest in their community. Lots of anecdotal stories that I've heard of people moving to places in Arizona, from the midwest, to escape the winter and snow around here. Then, they find that for a good portion of the year, it's too hot to go anyplace unless you're out at 5:00am or after 9:00pm. I know someone who moved back from California because they missed the changing seasons.

You have a lot of research, and thinking, to do.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

Are you relocating or doing this for research?

From my own ONLINE research, I am kind of at a crossroads as far as staying in the SAME state or moving. My present location here in VA has very few sidewalks. I need my sidewalks as I love to walk and explore. Yes, they are very good with fitness establishments and trails, but I get bored very quickly once I have have walked ONE time through a neighborhood or a trail.

I also found there are a lot of Senior Retirment communities. I am not into the GROUP set up, so have no interest in those

What I am looking into is maybe finding states (or countries) that allow TINY cottages. Not the ones on wheels/lol. Don't need my home hooked up to someone's vehicle and towed away.

Hugs,

Angela

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

Hello Angela,

Did you find any tiny cottages and where are they located, senior community?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mi4090 sorry for the very LATE response to your kind and much appreciated post. I had taken a BREAK from this board.

1. I am still looking for a tiny cottage near Salem, Virginia.
  2. I retired last year July 2020 🙂
  3. Still in my CUTE studio apartment which I had moved into August 2018. Dealing with UPSTAIRS neighbors from HELL 😞

Hope all is well with you. Happy Easter if you celebrate it!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I moved to NC years ago and love it! Not too hot not too cold 2 hours to the beach two hours to the mountains what's not to love!

Periodic Contributor

"Are you relocating or doing this for research?"...….. Answer: It is really a little of both..... I haven't made any decisions about relocating yet..... all depends on what research I find.... Thank you !
PannB
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pburdi56 wrote:
"Are you relocating or doing this for research?"...….. Answer: It is really a little of both..... I haven't made any decisions about relocating yet..... all depends on what research I find.... Thank you !

💥 Hi @pburdi56 any updates for us? Thanks, Angela 😁 💥

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've been in Florida since the 70's. Finished my career here and will always call Florida home. It's the water... for me. Fishing, boating , diving has always been part of who I am. Don't dive deep any more, but the water is still the draw. 

We also had a cabin in TN which we are now selling (sold) and will probably buy something closer to home. It's amazing how many people a day are moving here, over a 1000 a day. I'm glad I live on acreage. 

Brace yourself for a discussion
Anonymous
Not applicable

June 9, 2021

Hi @Fishslayer777 ideally I would like to relocate to Melbourne, Florida where my only child lives. Are you familiar with this area? I am living in Cave Spring, Virginia and retired last July 2021. Thanks, Angela 😁

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP