Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tiny Home/Tiny Cottage ๐Ÿก

๐Ÿ’ฅThis discussion was created October 18, 2019 ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hello All!

Anyone living in a tiny home or tiny cottage?

Would love to hear from you if you are or dream of living in one.

As I age, I know one big concern are UTILITIES and of course RENT/MORTGAGE. Have done major research ONLINE but would love to hear from real people/lol.

Energy efficient options such as solar maybe???

Using rain water????

Then the challenge of finding locations that ALLOW these homes/cottages and being able to purchase one. Would love to DESIGN my own as so not into the LOFTS (stairs/yikes). Need EVERYTHING on the same level and NO WHEELS for someone to tow me away/lol.

Let's talk about this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (12/5/22 11:41pm EST) .Just saw this on Google News, so sad! ๐Ÿ˜ญ .***2.3k comments so far***๐Ÿ˜ฑ

A woman had to move out of her tiny home after 1 day because the city threatened to fine her $1,000 a day

Sam Tabahriti
Sun, December 4, 2022, 9:19 AMยท2 min read
  • A woman is suing the city of Meridian, Idaho, over its ban on living in mobile homes.

• Chasidy Decker bought her tiny home because she couldn't afford a traditional house.

• City officials told her she can't live in it legally despite paying rent to park it in a yard.

Article has a PICTURE of her Tiny Home.

LINK TO YAHOO NEWS ARTICLE

Nicole ๐Ÿ˜ญ

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

A lot of more urban/suburban places have done away with mobile home living.  Some of the ground complexes for mobile home dwellings were grandfathered in but when they go the way of the progress - the owner sells to a developer and puts up many more living dwellings - apartments, townhomes, condos, cluster single family homes.

In more urban/suburban areas, the homes for the many over shadow the single home.  But at the same time the communities develop zoning areas so they can control where the masses are gonna be located.  They do this so that they can plan - plan for infrastructure, schools, water, sewer, etc.  In the zoning method they regulate the size of lots, the type of dwellings, how many dwelling per acre or whether single family or multifamily complexes, etc.

Now if you get to a more rural area the rules aren't so strict - so it might be possible to buy the land or sub rent a part of a larger plot for placement of some type of unconventional living structure - mobile home, tiny home with or without wheels, RV, etc.  Just remember that utilities have to be installed or planned for - then if it is not your land,  there is the rent cost - some of these landlords even resell the water since they are the ones that put in the utilities on the lot or lots.

But when growth happens, the price of land escalates so not much different than renting an abode.

Where I live, mobile homes aren't all that safe to live in because of tornadoes but people still live in them - some have an underground bunker close-by.

In looking at the population and growth stats of Meridian, Idaho - I am just gonna say that the likelihood of this being approved isn't all that great.  It goes back to the ole "homes for the many" concept.

The city of Meridian, established in 1893, is now the second largest city in Idaho. Itโ€™s also one of the fastest growing U.S. cities in the last 10 years, according to the 2020 census. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

I thought you might enjoy looking at this development.  It is located not too far from me.  As you will see on this website, AARP Georgia is one of the annual sponsors of this not for profit developers.  I am also including a write up about them from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution from May 2019; before they even started to develop and build.

These were all For Sale Homes; over $ 100,000 each from the info given - they are all now sold.

This small community (8, it looks like) of tiny homes also has an HOA and the cost is $ 100 per month per home.

The smallest one (250 SF) was not included in the video, that I can tell, but you can see it on the map and is the farthest to the right in the 2nd group of photos on the MicroLife website (under the "Opening 2021 banner) and there is a floor plan for it.  As far as I can determine from the drawing of the neighborhood, there was only (1) of these in this size.

MicroLife: Cottages on Vaughan - A Community of Tiny Houses 

AJC 05/12/2019 - Georgiaโ€™s first โ€˜tiny home neighborhoodโ€™ coming to metro Atlanta 

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅFriday - May 14, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@GailL1 interesting. I didnot realize AARP was involved in Tiny Living or that Georgia was zoned for them.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

AARP Foundation: Housing - Advocacy  

AARP Livable Communities Newsletter 2015 

AARP 2018 - Tiny Retirement: Is It for You? 

The AARP Foundation also supports fair housing in their Legal Advocacy

AARP Foundation: Docket: Housing/Predatory Mortgage Lending/Livable Communities 

In Georgia, zoning is done by the locality in which the property to be developed is located or will be located.  The developer/planners  just go before the local zoning board with their plan to have it voted on up or down - communities like the one in my previous post are considered cluster housing and we have lots of that but not all of them are smaller houses - cluster just means they are close together, with little yard space -  cluster housing is just another form (a sub-class) of single family housing.  

The place where this community it is located - Clarkston, GA. is unique in and of itself - It is noted for its ethnic diversity, and is often referred to as "the most diverse square mile in America" and "the Ellis Island of the South" ( Wikipedia) - it is a place where many refugees 1st settle in the US by the refugee non-profits that help them as they begin their life in the USA - Teaching them English, helping them become employed, teaching them about all the life and ways in the US.  

It is a unique and interesting place, just by going there you can experience the world - read more about it:

WABE.org - 02/26/2020 - Clarkston Has Welcomed Thousands Of Refugees. Hear What Residents Have To Sa... 

I lived there a very, very long time ago ( '68 - '70)

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅSaturday - May 15, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@GailL1 sad that the US has so many legal US citizens who need housing while refugees are being housed. Sorry, US citizens should be housed first. Once ALL US citizens are housed, then refugees can be helped.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

These new refugees mostly live in apartments until they get their lives up and running - then they can go out and buy a home or rent somewhere else or stay in the areas.  The government does not pay for their housing long term - The refugee get a small stipend to settle in but are encouraged to begin to bring in money and then their are the non-profits that help them too. - The community-based resettlement organizations - Many are faith-based organizations.

How is the refugee resettlement funded?

Through the Department of State and the Department of Health and Human Services. The State Departmentโ€™s Reception and Placement (R&P) program provides refugees with a loan to travel to the U.S., which they are required to start repaying after they arrive. The R&P program then supplies resettlement agencies a one-time sum per refugee to finance their first 30-90 days in the U.S. That money goes mostly towards rent, furnishings, food, and clothing, as well as costs of the agency staff case management and other integration services.

After three months, HHSโ€™s Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) then works through the states and other nongovernmental organizations to provide refugees with limited cash and medical assistance, as well as short-term language, employment, and social services, and longer term integration services.

National Immigration Forum - 11/05/2020 - Fact Sheet: U.S. Refugee Resettlement 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GailL1 thanks for sharing info on refugees, but have zero interest in them. I see hard-working US citizens struggling to keep a roof over their heads. Does not matter where funds are coming from. Help US citizens first, then refugees when ALL US citizens are homed and safe.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous 

U.S.A.gov - Find Affordable Rental Housing 

There are plenty of Federal and State programs to help people in need to find affordable housing - rent or buy if qualified.  Is this enough - probably not,  especially in certain areas where the need is great. 

These programs don't help new refugees - they are for US citizens.

"Affordability" is based on ones own pocketbook - whether renting or buying.

It is also contingent on the area and market specifics. 

These tiny homes in Metro Atlanta are affordable - $100,000 - $150,000 is much more affordable than the price of other homes in the same area by several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GailL1 if they move Biden into a regular house along with ALL the past PRESIDENTS, downsized security, more LEGAL US citizens would have housing and be safe. Shameful having homeless living outside the White House gates!!! 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅSaturday - April 3, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

• Anyone live in any of the states below? If YES, have you seen any Tiny Homes? If YES, we would luv to hear about your experience. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

24 States That Are Tiny House Friendly

1. Arizona
  2. California
  3. Colorado
  4. Florida
  5. Georgia
  6. Idaho
  7. Indiana
  8. Kansas
  9. Maine
  10. Massachusetts
  11. Michigan
  12. Minnesota
  13. Nebraska
  14. Nevada
  15. New Hampshire
  16. New Mexico
  17. North Carolina
  18. Oregon
  19. Pennyslvania
  20. South Carolina
  21. South Dakota
  22. Tennessee
  23. Texas
  24. Vermont
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hi Angela!

Although I designed and built a new, one-bedroom home for myself just 4 years ago, I've wondered about life in a tiny home...or even a semi trailer home (also a new popularity!) I've come across some really creative, beautiful options shown online and on Netflix.  It's just a marvel what people have incorporated into theirs!

If you're pretty sold on the idea, you could always sit down with a building contractor and play with some designs...get a clue as to what you would need and the cost.  I'm with you.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with the loft idea or having to climb around!   

Rosemary

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @RosemaryF433825 luv the fact that you designed your own home. Unfortunately my state has not welcomed the Tiny Home concept as yet. Maybe with time they will or I will be brave and relocate to a state that welcomes them. Thank you for sharing with us ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Angela.   Oh! I didn't mean that I had designed and built a tiny home.  Sorry if it sounded as though I had.  A tiny home wouldn't be big enough for me.

But for those who are interested in them, there are some I've seen that are fabulous!

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 19, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @RosemaryF433825 lol, I know you didnot design a Tiny Home and that is why I said home. Your post had stated a 1-bedroon home. That is still awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos

I am 75 year old disabled lady on a fixed income. After my husband died about 3 years ago,  it has been very hard. My health is going down hill, getting to the point, where to go. Need surgery,  but I have a hard time just paying the co pay. So what am I to do.. Auto insurance keeps going up. Makes it bad, I have had NO accidents or tickets,  but every year there is a increase. Got to pay it. Then u worry about if your vehicle breaks down or u need new tires, etc. Theres NO end to it. I have heard about people r joining, cheaprvliving.com where people r sleeping in their cars, etc. They stay on free land for 14 days, then they have to move again. It's on the west coast. That's about 2k miles from me. And don't know if I can make it. I try to keep my faith up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅ March 16, 2021 ๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @CynthiaL756175 I had been homeless for over 10 years and it was a very challenging and shameful journey. It is best to avoid becoming homeless in the first place. Fast track to now, if I allowed myself to again to give up, I could be right back on that road again. There are programs out there and until I became homeless in my old age, I like a lot of folks thought they were there to help us in our time of need. Nope, I had to stay in a shelter for 13 months of hell while trying to stay safe, get some sleep to keep the job I had. Shelters are just not set up to allow you to sleep!!! I got totally frustrated when I could not get any housing help due to the fact I did not qualify. It seems society will jump up and help addicts before they help an old person who has worked hard all of her life. I hope that you are okay. I took some years off from AARP and back now to try it again, this time not allowing the online bullies to bully me off it again. Lol, that is why I deactivated all of my Social Media a few years ago. Never was one for drama and not into it now. Thanks for stopping by and hoping you are okay.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Please don't get to the point of where you are sleeping in your car!!!

Please check into options for reduced payments on things like utilities, car payments, etc.

If you have had no accidents or tickets...even if you infrequently use your car... you can get a reduction on your insurance payments.  I would suggest chatting with the person who sold you your car insurance.

You can also contact your utility company.  My utility company has a special fund working people can donate to that helps low income people pay for cooling in summer and heating bills in winter.

You could inquire into having that fund help you pay your utility bills, or even see if your bills could be discounted due to your income.

If you live in a home that still has a mortgage?  Interest rates are very low, and that gives you an opportunity to refinance your mortgage so your payments will be lower.

There are many opportunities that people are not aware of that will help make their lives easier if they merely ask for assistance.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@RosemaryF433825 I would also add the following suggestions

• Get a roommate or become a roommate
  • Move in with family or a friend
  • If you attend a church, be honest about your situation, maybe someone will let you move in with them while you get back on your feet
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This post is for  CynthiaL756175  : Your post touched me and I would be willing to help find some resources in your area which may be able to help you. I know it took some grit to write your post and so that is why I thought I should reach out to you. I sent you a PM (Private Message) and please respond to that so we can get something happening for you.  If you don't know how to get to and read the PM (Private Message) just post back and I will give you instructions. Also I noticed your post was dated January 5, 2020 and received 5214 views and I truly hope a member has since reached out to you and you are doing better, when able please do update, Blessings to You.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@T23 that was awfully kind of you to reach out to her ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

I am a 65 year old homeowner (still working) with an RV parking set-up on my property.  My concern is getting a good renter in an RV or tiny home there that is a responsible, respectful person.  I am not in a position to house the homeless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

@d315500ewere you able to find a renter?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live in Spokane County, WA and would dearly love to find someone with sufficient land to accommodate renting/leasing to a tiny house with hookups.  I have never posted anything here and hope I have not violated any rules by doing so but reading your post made me think perhaps there ARE people out there who would welcome this income. 

Thanks for listening, in any case!

TJ

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @katierulz9 did you locate any land?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi AngelaS579497, 

Sadly, I have not-but I was blessed to have a friend's apartment open up. Ironically, this is an apartment of theirs that I helped repair after some previous renters had done a job on it. Karma, maybe?
In any case, It's so much better than where I was living before. I am thankful and mindful of it every moment. 
Thank you for asking! 
I do hope everyone has had some answers to prayers during this difficult year. 
Periodic Contributor

I like the idea of owning and living in a tiny home. I have been reading recently in various news reports that tiny homes are being considered as a viable option to help end homelessness as far as homeless sheltering is concerned. I guess in  Monterey, California, tiny homes are being built for homeless veterans. I think it's a good idea and the video of the inside of tiny homes seems to offer everything one would need to live comfortably. I found the below article on the topic interesting:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/tiny-homes-homelessness-solution/  

--Molly
Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ’ฅMarch 16, 2021๐Ÿ’ฅ

Hi @MollyKateri, thank you for sharing. I agree, no Veteran should be homeless!!!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Been living dream in 325 square foot 5th wheel several years. Local city zoning not favorable for small residential structures (no tax benefits to local governments due to reduced size of properties). Until state and local governmental bodies decide to get on board with appropriate zoning, they are missing out on the huge benefit of an increasing population of tax paying, capital rich, and stable residents (see Texas communities embracing this new paradigm.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP