Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Shared Home Repair-Did I handle this the best way?

Regular Contributor

Shared Home Repair-Did I handle this the best way?

My neighbor and I share a walkway and step. Over the years, we have tried to get it repaired(crumbled in some areas and patched in others). Either I was not ready or she was not. Something else cropped up and our money was used for it. 

This year I spoke to her about replacing the walkway. Get it done while I have it. I told her that I would not be able to get the work done until April. We started to contact contractors. We agreed to split the cost.

In March, she told me that she contacted someone and he gave her a quote. I asked her about his company and she said that he was a friend, very good and did some work for her. She said that he worked for the city in construction.

I said, well I think that we should call a couple of other contractors to compare quotes and then decide. I called 4 other contractors. 2 never called back, 1 quoted without ever seeing the walkway and 1 came out and quoted. I emailed her all info and asked her to get back to me. After I called one, she emailed me that her friend could start whenever we wanted to. I was not comfortable with this as I felt that using a licensed contractor was better.

After a week of not hearing from her, I called the contractor who showed up and gave a deposit and signed a contract. I emailed the contract to her.

She emails me that she wants to talk. I called her and she explained that

she had a certain amount that she wanted to pay( has other obligations). I said I wanted to use a licensed contractor. She says oh, he's licensed and we would have only paid for labor as he uses leftover cement from the city. She only wanted to pay 1/2 of the labor charge of the quote the friend gave her. She never told me any of this in our emails.

She says well you signed the contract now. I let her know when they were  coming out. While the work was  being done, I emailed her (with pictures).

She was ok with it. I asked if she had any concerns. 

She writes the check for less than the 1/2 amount of the friend labor quote.

I said I thought it was short. She wrote another check .It equaled 1/4 if the contractor quote. I paid the deposit and 3/4 of the remaining balance of the contractor that I used. So I got something not 1/2 but something.

The goal was to get the walkway replaced and that was accomplished. We have been good neighbors to each other over the years so I am letting the inequity go. Plus it could have been the other way around.

Was this handled the best way?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Silver Conversationalist

Under the circumstances I think so. Was it fair to you,no,but you got the walk repaired which was the ultimate goal,saved the friendship along the way,and perhaps learned a lesson about who she is. I think you did the right thing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The walkway is done to both of your satisfaction...Next time before giving a deposit have her sign and you sign it both at the same time so there's no doubt when it comes to the final payment and make sure she is aware of all that transpires from start to finish. You both have to be on the same page and mindset to agree to do something with out repercussions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The walkway is done to both of your satisfaction...Next time before giving a deposit have her sign and you sign it both at the same time so there's no doubt when it comes to the final payment and make sure she is aware of all that transpires from start to finish. You both have to be on the same page and mindset to agree to do something with out repercussions.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks for replying Jonibee:

Frankly, I do not think either of us communicated well. We were not really forthcoming in our mindsets. In my next housing situation, no sharing!

Lesson learned. Still we were good to each other in the past and we wanted to keep that.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Under the circumstances I think so. Was it fair to you,no,but you got the walk repaired which was the ultimate goal,saved the friendship along the way,and perhaps learned a lesson about who she is. I think you did the right thing.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thank for replying LeeS4949.

We both learned a lesson. On to the next repair, no sharing on this one!๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

You are very welcome Michele. ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP