Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Senior Housing

Message 1 of 24

Just wanted to say "Thank You" to everyone who read, replied, and gave me Kudos for my post! I wrote it over a year ago and I'm still getting Kudos about it! I'm just really glad that so many AARP-ers got some value from what I said.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 24

Hello citygal226,

Thanks for starting this post. Believe it or not, I was just searching for senior housing on AARP to see if anyone had a post already and lo and behold, you did! Awesome! Had there not been a post, I would have started one because it's sad hunting for me trying to find housing as a senior citizen. I want to relocate back to Atlanta/Marietta/areas near those two cities...so if anyone has any openings where they live in those cities, please let me know. I lived there a few years, then had to move away for a few years, now I want to go back there. I'm a female in my 60's and do NOT make enough retirement pay to afford anything except an income based housing apartment which is fine with me as long as it's clean and well taken care of...a studio to one bedroom apartment is all I need. I'm also open to moving to Jacksonville, Florida. I live in the Tampa area now with my oldest daughter but want to live elsewhere on my own now. Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 24

The family home where the kids went to high school was in a town without opportunity so the kids moved away. I verified that they did not even like visiting, so I sold the house. I went to a city where one of them was attending college because it was promoting itself as a great place for seniors. I learned that it applied only if you were top 1%, subdivisions with their own bars sorts of places. I then researched cities online to verify that there were activities, churches, low cost of living, and availability of housing. I learned that there are many fly-by-night senior housing complexes, accomodating lower-mid incomes now but maybe not tomorrow. I chose a city with my interests, in an acceptable climate, with public transit, on the AMTRAK line, good medical facilities, and an apartment complex for all ages in low-mid income. The complex is large with many floor plans, and I got to choose the floor plan and the floor. Many are not in a position to start with a clean slate (why relocate if you like where you live), but if the kids are at the stage of internships and entry level professional jobs it's a good place to live while they land.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 24

i made the decision to move to a 55+ active community 19 yrs ago. i was in my early 50's then now having turned 70 and retired it really fits. i feel comfortable and safe for sure and have no regrets. and i only have to put with old people.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 24

HUD housing for seniors age 62+.  The rent of 30% of your income usually includes all utilities. The only costs you pay are for cable/phone/internet. I am currently a rental assistant at an apt building that has HUD for seniors. When looking at housing I myself looked for properties that were 1 level instead of highrises since I did not want to deal with elevators (they do break down), plus I was looking for a small town. The housing I am moving to in NC in 2-3 months also includes W/D hookups in each apt. The town I am moving to is 8,000 pop. has all amenities including hospital, urgent care, numerous doctors, Walgreens, Rite Aid, several banks, Walmart, several other grocery stores, plenty of restaurants, outdoor concerts in the summer, etc. With computers in this day & age and smartphones you do not even need your own bank to have a physical branch. They DO have waitng lists since they only have openings when folks move out 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 24

I am Blessed, at age 65, that we paid our house off 2 years ago. My husband still works and is making good money. We are doing as many remodels and reapirs as quickly as we can so we can be free of, hopefully, any major reapirs. We have a 3 bedroom raised ranch that is already posing as a problem for my arthritis and back. We have lots of stairs to get into the house. We will eventually have to put a lift in the basement to get me upstairs. I am a small woman.
We need our basement as my husband has a part time business downstairs.
A retirement community and a smaller place sounds lovely, but I have dogs and will continue to have them. I cannot mop and clean this place either. I have to pay to have it done.
So how does Senior Housing out weigh a home that is paid for? Is it better to downsize than pay the extra for Senior Housing?
My utility bills and yearly taxes (broken down monthly) will take half my check if I ever have to live alone. How do you afford Senior Housing and buy groceries, gas, clothing, etc?
Senior Housing around here (just outside Atlanta) is upwards of $2000+(that is the lower end) a month.  How does one do that with a check that is not even half that?
I also want to add that I was a stay at home Mom for so many years and have very little work history. I had to go on disability at age 51 (just as I was entering the work force) due to the back surgery and arthritis. I was getting a fair check until 6 months before I turned 65. They cut my check (claiming I got a lump sum medical settlement, which was an annuity that I never see and cannot use as living expenses). I fought this and lost and had to take ealy retirement or only get $300 a month after SS was taken out.
When my husband retires, I am hoping I can claim his benfits.
Government needs to take care of this aging Baby Boomer generation. We are falling through the cracks!! Especially those of us who stayed home with our children.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 24

I live in SW NH and have arthritis and breathing problems

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 24

2 options I am aware of for searching for affordable senior housing is

#1 - HUD.gov website. HUD housing rent is 30% of income in age 62+ housing. Click top tab that says RESOURCES. Click affordable apartment search. Then put in the city, county, or zip code of the area you are interested in, type of housing (senior), # of bedrooms, etc. It will return a list of availble places. Waiting lists can be very long on some properties.

#2 - Seniorhousing.net is a good resource that you can enter city or zip and it returns results from independent living to non subsidized properties in the area

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 24

I’m staying in my modest paid for home, in a nice neighborhood, as long as I can!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 24

What area of the country are you in?  What is your state of health?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date